Buddy rich Sticks

blinky

I bought a pair some time ago to try. Normally I play VF 5B double glaze and I wanted to check out the BR sticks since they are painted. They are a bit less sticky (I have very dry hands) compared to the double glaze, and feel much lighter. Nice sticks though!

gish

I’ve used them here and there but prefer a standard Vic 5B. I can tell you who has never used them; Buddy Rich.

markiet1966

I’ve been using them for the past 24 years, love them! Somewhere between a 5A and 5B and long, they just seem to be perfect for me.

John Q. Drummer

Loved them. Hated the white paint. I went to the Vater West Side.

I went through the same thing. My body chemistry and that darn white paint didn't mesh. Way too slippery for my hands. It forced me to have to grip the stick way too tightly, which is not conducive to relaxed, fluid playing. I also switched to the Vater West side for a little while, then I switched to a completely different brand and style of stick. All part of the journey.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
That's true, which makes you wonder where they came from.
I remember seeing pairs made by Ludwig and Slingerland back when Buddy played either brand, and the design looks a little consistent with regard to taper and bead. But in keeping with Buddy’s attitude about it, I don’t think he cared what stick he used. He didn’t really care about the drums either.

newoldie

Silver Member
Bought a pair a year ago and have been using them for practice since then, rotating them in with other sticks as well. They rebound quite well and have enough weight to offer a bit more workout than my other 5A weight sticks, but without straining my hands.

I also use them in jazz band where they can cut through and crash easily, but are still quite controllable.
Overall, nice addition to the sticks I use.

drumnut87

used to use them for a few years when i was using VFs. werent too bad a stick :)

ALotSirSwings

Thanks for all the responses!! I don’t think they are for me, I’m using really thick sticks now ala Tony Williams. Also y’all, I posted this in the thread it should be in but follow me on Instagram! @SirSwingsAlot is my handle, send me a dm if you found me from here! Love you all, JJ.

drumnut87

Thanks for all the responses!! I don’t think they are for me, I’m using really thick sticks now ala Tony Williams. Also y’all, I posted this in the thread it should be in but follow me on Instagram! @SirSwingsAlot is my handle, send me a dm if you found me from here! Love you all, JJ.
yeah they're on the thin side, like a modded 5A with a smaller tip. im looking into getting my own custom sticks made, the same thickness, shoulder and tip as virgil donatis sticks but longer length

btw, jsut followed you on insta, @5knuckleparadiddle is my handle :)

ALotSirSwings

yeah they're on the thin side, like a modded 5A with a smaller tip. im looking into getting my own custom sticks made, the same thickness, shoulder and tip as virgil donatis sticks but longer length

btw, jsut followed you on insta, @5knuckleparadiddle is my handle :)
I saw that, thank you!

pgm554

Platinum Member
Varied from manufacturer.
Ludwig did a BR stick and it was smaller and very light,although the same shape as the VF.
The VF BR is a pretty hefty stick.
Buddy never really endorsed a stick and just said a 5A when asked what he used.

JaysonJeanChannel

My current go-to sticks at the moment. Love the weight and sound they produce on the cymbals, especially the ride cymbal. The white pain can be seen as a turn-off, but I personally love the paint on the sticks.

KirbyM

I have a pair that someone gave me for Christmas of 2019. They have nylon tips, are well-balanced and rebound very nicely. I keep them at my desk to use with a practice pad almost daily.

It's odd as to how someone named these the "Buddy Rich" model. Rich normally used very skinny, lightweight sticks with wood tips.