Buddy Rich(Slingerland)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Definitely one of the 1960s catalogs. I had one of those Tempo King Pedals - it worked great for me in my beginning years (this is post-SpeedKing too). Amazing back then it was only $28! I love how it only cost $10 to upsize the bass drum! Too bad minimum wage back then was probably $1.05 ;)

Good Karma

Last edited:

RickP

Gold Member
I had a Slingerland 80 N kit recently in ribbon mahogany veneer . It was a good sounding kit . The Buddy Rich signature snare was particularly nice . Mine was from the mid to late 70’s with the 5 ply maple/poplar shells without reinforcing rings .
The Set o Matic Tom mount worked flawlessly .

Attachments

Last edited:

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
My inflation calculator says that would be $6,571.58 in today's dollars! DW would be pissed that someone is charging more than they do for a signature kit. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Also, I guess this catalog blows away the notion that Buddy played a 24" kick. Or else they're not offering one to the public.

Unlike this article that says he used one on the Tonight Show:
“Sometime around 1975 this set of white marine pearl Slingerland drums was delivered to NBC Studios so Rich would have a Slingerland set whenever he appeared on the show. On the Tonight Show performances Rich plays a matching white marine pearl snare drum. The set now has a chrome snare. It is not clear at what point the snares were switched. The set is constructed of 3 ply shells with reinforcing rings and consists of a 24” x14” bass drum, two 16” x 16” floor toms, a 13” x 9” rack tom and a 14” x 5” chrome snare. It also includes the hardware and canister throne seen in the photo. Rich played this set on the Tonight Show up until 1977 when he left Slingerland to endorse Ludwig drums.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I think Buddy didn’t really care, but I remember a Pro Drum story where they said he always wanted at least a 24”, and when he was set to go on the Tonight Show, he just got on with Rogers and they sent a 22” bass drum. Bob Yeager (owner of Pro Drum) called Buddy late at night and made him come to the shop to confirm where he wanted the tom mount exactly because he didn’t want Buddy to scream at him if it wasn’t right! Bob didn’t take no guff from Buddy 😉

newoldie

Silver Member
Isn't it amazing that today you can buy a high quality, used pro level kit ( the equivalent of what the Slingerland drumset quality was for its time) at around the same price? The choices in gear we have are incredible.

RickP

Gold Member
24” was the standard size for the 80n Buddy Rich signature kit . 22” was an option . My kit pictured above had the optional 22” bass drum .

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I believe that's an actual Nehru shirt you heard tell about that Buddy is wearing. I had a few. 1967 I think.

*Shudders*

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
No listing for the canister throne. Did Slingerland not make these?

EDIT: I see now it's on page 38. Anyone got page 38?

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Yeah vintage hardware is pretty crap, I don't care what anyone says.

I had a 70's Rogers stand, and Rogers had top of the line hardware back in the day. Even though it was heavy duty for the time, it was about what you'd expect from a light stand today. And I broke it.