Buddy Rich playing match grip

C.M. Jones

I've tried the floor tom on the hi hat side, and I've tried the symmetrical/open-handed setup like Mike Mangini, and I've tried the flip-flop the two high toms like Kenny Aronoff and it's VERY clear to me that my wiring is pretty well set at this point. :D
That's exactly why I've never added a second floor tom. I'm wired to play just one.

Al Strange

What the [beep] you think is goin' on here - you got too many days off so you think it's a [beeping] game. You think I'm the only one who's gonna work out here on Drummerworld while you [beepers] clam all over this joint. What do you think this is anyhow? What kind of forum is this? What kind of mis-cues do you call this? What kind of forum do you think you're commenting on, [beeper]? You wanna [beep] with me on the forum? Shut that [beepin’] door. I'm out here workin' my balls off tryin' to do somebody a favour and you [beepers] are suckin' all over this joint!:mad:

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
What the [beep] you think is goin' on here - you got too many days off so you think it's a [beeping] game. You think I'm the only one who's gonna work out here on Drummerworld while you [beepers] clam all over this joint. What do you think this is anyhow? What kind of forum is this? What kind of mis-cues do you call this? What kind of forum do you think you're commenting on, [beeper]? You wanna [beep] with me on the forum? Shut that [beepin’] door. I'm out here workin' my balls off tryin' to do somebody a favour and you [beepers] are suckin' all over this joint!:mad:
As long as you use the right [beepin’] grip that's [beepin’] traditional [beepin’] [beep].

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
My drum teacher, Ted MacKenzie, studied with Henry Adler. We used Buddys book and watched tons of Buddys videos. Ted went on to write and add to the latest version of Buddys book. And yet almost 30 years later, I'm still amazed by his playing (mostly).

EhhSoCheap

The title of the video is misleading. Buddy is taking a jab at the creativity of his younger contemporaries. He probably perceived many of the popular tunes of the day as formulaic as well as the musicianship of the drummers.

I could be wrong — many of you know more about the man than I do

C.M. Jones

The title of the video is misleading. Buddy is taking a jab at the creativity of his younger contemporaries. He probably perceived many of the popular tunes of the day as formulaic as well as the musicianship of the drummers.

I could be wrong — many of you know more about the man than I do
Your interpretation is not without substance. Buddy spoke disparagingly on occasion about both rock and country music. His aversion to matched grip may have been related to the styles of drumming with which he associated it.

Amid a hospital stay, he was asked by a nurse if he had any allergies. His reply was "Country music." His views on rock were similarly uncharitable.

Alex Luce

Pro Drummer
If I have a grip bias, it's against French grip, the thumbs-up method. As a disciple of German grip (palms down, thumbs on sides of sticks), French grip has always looked bizarre to me, though I know its has its merits. It's just not a technique I'll ever grow accustom to seeing.
I always think of matched grip as being German (palms down), but Buddy doesn’t seem to be doing that in this video. Looks more like American/French grip to me. Apparently he doesn’t have anything against old Timpanists...just those damn young people...ha ha!

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I think he’s saying that I, and other ne’er-do-wells like me, suck because we play matched grip?! :unsure: ;)
😬 Oo-- I was thinking more like, "I like the way I can get around the drums, and roll, with traditional grip." Mel Lewis is another one who thinks matched grip is BS and you'll never swing if you play matched grip. I just take it as an invitation to think about what he's saying, I don't take personal offence. Still I play matched grip 99% of the time.