Buddy Rich in 1982 had a heart attack during this drum solo but kept going

Buddy Rich in 1982 had a heart attack during this drum solo but kept going and
performed one of the most epic drum solos in history. Reaction + Stats and Character Sheet

C.M. Jones

Rich's central philosophy, which he advocated in an interview with Larry King in the 1980s, was that no matter what befalls, you're obligated to plow forth and get the job done. Death, he declared, is the only force that should prevent you from carrying out a task. He required his bandmates to show up and perform when they were ill, and he was notoriously unsympathetic to excuses related to health. He was a tough fellow from a rugged era.

It's incredible such a commitment! Today in music nothing like this exist anymore. I'm not saying this is right or wrong it's just really impressive.

newoldie

Silver Member
Just mind boggling.

One has to wonder how incredible the solo would have been with no heart attack occurrence.

Graham sheridan

Just to be 100% clear .. at no point did Buddy Rich ever have a heat attack while playing drums. He did not have a heart attack during this performance or any other performance. After this particular show he wasn’t feeling well, the lights were very strong and warm and as a precaution a doctor was called. Also, what you see in this video was no different than any other performance. He gave 100% but he wasn’t stupid. if he was having a heart attack he would have stopped (do I even have to say that?). Rich had a few heart attacks in his life time and I’m sure he would have been wise enough to stop playing.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I remember when the "Concert for the Americas'' was aired on TV. His history with Sinatra was legendary.

Regarding his work ethic you're right, growing up and working in the days of the Great Depression certainly molded him.
That Cal Ripken-like strength and longevity is something few can sustain.

Last edited:

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Just to be 100% clear .. at no point did Buddy Rich ever have a heat attack while playing drums. He did not have a heart attack during this performance or any other performance. After this particular show he wasn’t feeling well, the lights were very strong and warm and as a precaution a doctor was called. Also, what you see in this video was no different than any other performance. He gave 100% but he wasn’t stupid. if he was having a heart attack he would have stopped (do I even have to say that?). Rich had a few heart attacks in his life time and I’m sure he would have been wise enough to stop playing.
I would tend to agree with this statement. At age 66 I had discomfort and pressure in my chest while I was exercising on a treadmill. (Same exercising I did two times per week). I was scheduled to have three stints put in my heart arteries. While waiting for the procedure I had two hard rock gigs to play. While playing those two gigs I was sweating a lot. Something I never do while playing the drums. And I had tightness in my chest. The doctor said I did not have any heart attacks, but only good clear warning signs. I think at the most that is what Buddy was experiencing. My wife had a very mild heart attack and if she were a musician, I can guarantee you she would not have been able to play any kind of instrument, let alone the drums.