Buddy Rich and Louie Bellson

mattsmith

Platinum Member
I had heard about this 1969 Tonight Show broadcast for a long time but had never seen it...the FIRST famous Buddy Rich-Louie Bellson drum battle. This is not the better known Groovin Hard Tonight Show battle that came years later. It is the first 3 minutes of this video that then moves on to other interviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_zEGdW_Nrc&feature=related

Well it's not really a battle because both guys are smiling throughout and not the most musical thing in the world nor is it supposed to be...just two icons shredding for the masses.

I also checked to make sure it wasn't already here at DW and it wasn't. I further hope that some who can't enjoy a drum solo because the kit isn't precisely tuned to certain specs will overlook all that and just have fun watching. I sure did.

Love it! My favorite lick is when Buddy fires out sextuplet singles on the snare and then moves them around. Buddy has more wrist use in his strokes than Louie and that sound quality really pops. (It doesn't hurt that Buddy's snare is tuned really tight either.)

louie's got just the nicest smile....! Thanks Matt, great clip.

Last edited:
Yeah, I love this stuff. They're both in great form, as always.

Bellson comes across as the nicest guy in the world. He just seems to genuinely love the drums and the music.

Well, there's nothing to say really, that hasn't already been said about these two incredibly skilled legends. A hugely enjoyable watch, & thanks for digging out this Matt.

Absolutely!!!

Man I just get amazed everytime I watch Buddy play at how fast and articulate his strokes are!

Sweet find! I'd never seen that clip.

Wow.

Can you imagine that happening today?
"Hi Jay, we want to feature two of the worlds top drummers having a friendly drum battle as a featured part of the show"

"uh...why?"

Yet, back then, no problem.

Loved that clip! Thanks for sharing Matt. I've never seen that one either.

Can you imagine that happening today?
"Hi Jay, we want to feature two of the worlds top drummers having a friendly drum battle as a featured part of the show"

"uh...why?"

Yet, back then, no problem.

Actually Letterman is having drum solos alllllll week!

Not a battle but still some cool exposure for drums... would have picked a different lineup but I get the whole name appeal factor.

http://www.tvline.com/2011/06/letterman-late-show-drum-solo-week/#more-221528

Wow, the Playboy Poll must have been a serious deal back then to get a mention like that. It was such a different age.

Blinding chops all round. I enjoyed what I could make out of Louie's playing more. That savage high-pitched snare attack of Buddy's is super-impressive but I find it a bit headache-inducing.

Good find, Matt. If Cathy won't do it then ... :)

That was brilliant, loved every second of it.

Cheers for sharing

Thanks so much Matt! I've been looking for this forever!

Bellson comes across as the nicest guy in the world. He just seems to genuinely love the drums and the music.

He was :)

I heard from a reliable source that Buddy and Louie got along pretty well, in fact when Buddy was hospitalized, Louie would fill in for him whenever possible.

Dennis

Awesome, thanks for posting that Matt, brought back lot's of memories of seeing both of them play over the years. Really cool stuff! Off the subject somewhat, but I was reminded of the time Buddy was on to battle with Ed Shaughnessy. Johnny said something in the setup about Buddy and Ed playing together and Buddy said "oh eddie has a drum-set?" or some to that effect..........:)

Man the drumming world sure lost two great ones with Buddy and Louie passing. I know my life was enriched greatly by having the opportunity to meet both these great men.

Again thanks Matt

I saw Buddy Rich in 1974 play a single bass pedal as though he were playing on two bass drums. This was the first time I had ever heard a single stroke roll with one foot !!

Kudos as well to Louie who had great chops as well.

Louie Bellson was a class act, period !! I am not surprised that he helped Buddy out from time to time. I don't believe I have ever heard a bad word about Louie.

Back