Buddy Rich, 2 up 1 down??

T

trkdrmr

I saw a photo of Buddy behind a kit with a pair of bongoes to his left on a stand. I know his standard setup, but it is odd seeing him with extra stuff. He expressed strong opinions of having anything more in a kit that his standard 1 up 2-down. Even then, he seemed to rarely use his 2nd FT for anything more than a towel stand.

EDIT: I apologize for all the edits. My connection/PC here is ultra-laggy.

T

trkdrmr

I forgot to mention: Don Bennett drum studio in Bellvue, Washington has a white Fibes kit on display that Buddy owned. It was a humbling, and yet very cool feeling to be in it's presence.

Wavelength

Platinum Member
That last 30 seconds or so is why we practice rudiments.
To play boring, repetitive solos with flawless technique? I liked the playing before and after the thirty seconds of bzzzzzz, but the solo just made me go zzz zzz zzz...

Last edited:

Vipercussionist

Silver Member
To play boring, repetitive solos with flawless technique? I liked the playing before and after the thirty seconds of bzzzzzz, but the solo just made me go zzz zzz zzz...
HA HA HA HA HA HA, very funny.

Just Drums

Silver Member
There's also a clip out there where Buddy is playing a 5pc Pearl kit and he goes right thru the FT head. It's a great clip!

razorx

Platinum Member
There's also a clip out there where Buddy is playing a 5pc Pearl kit and he goes right thru the FT head. It's a great clip!
Yes it is. I've seen it before too. I think in that same video his cymbal stand comes loose. I'm not sure though.