Brushes Sources

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
Hey all, been a while -

I'm drawing a blank on who is known for their brush work. I've been preparing Softly as in a Morning Sunrise with Sonny Rollins and Elvin Jones, and Jones is freakin' awesome, but I don't really know that many other tunes or names. Yes, I've done the cursory searches. Who do you guys cite as important in the wide world of brush grooves?

RickP

Gold Member
Vernel Fournier
Ed Thigpen
Philly Jo Jones
Jo Jones
Denzil Best
Ed Soph
Joe Morello
Clayton Cameron
John Riley

eddypierce

Hey all, been a while -

I'm drawing a blank on who is known for their brush work. I've been preparing Softly as in a Morning Sunrise with Sonny Rollins and Elvin Jones, and Jones is freakin' awesome, but I don't really know that many other tunes or names. Yes, I've done the cursory searches. Who do you guys cite as important in the wide world of brush grooves?
Off the top of my head, try these albums:

Jo Jones--Essential Jo Jones
Philly Joe Jones--Bud Powell, Times Waits
Elvin Jones--Tommy Flanagan, Overseas
Shelly Manne--Bill Evans, Empathy/Simple Matter of Conviction
Paul Motian--Bill Evans, Village Vanguard Sessions
Kenny Washington--Bill Charlap, Written in the Stars

Another great brushes player is Buddy Rich, if you can find any combo playing where he's using them.

All the guys cited are great and well worth watching and learning from. Two of my favorites have not been mentioned yet. John Poole, who can be found backing up Anita O'Day on the majority of her records. I will go out on a limb, but only a wee bit, and tell you that John might be the best brush man of the bunch. I know Buddy Rich thought so because I heard him say it himself when they performed together in San Francisco back in the mid 1960s. And Buddy Rich is another favorite, played the brushes like crazy. A couple more guys come to mind too. Even though he is not noted for it, Max Roach had a magic touch with brushes. Connie Kay could swing like crazy with brushes, check him out on most MJQ recordings. One of you guys already mentioned Denzil Best, but I gotta second that nomination. Check him out backing George Shearing and tell me what is not to love about his brush work. All these guys should be in the brush player hall of fame.

radman

Hard to think of additional names than those cited! (I was hoping to add Connie Kay, but got scooped! LOL)

As WhoIsTony mentioned, Clayton C's video covered pretty much everything. However, for some more brush fun, watch Jeff H and Steve S interpret Dizzy's "Salt Peanuts":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjxRl-aCWvQ

Hope you enjoy,
radman

groove1

Silver Member
My fav's have all been mentioned here already. I have spent hours on youtube watching brushwork of many of them. Many jazz piano trio recordings have a lot of brushwork.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I saw Florian at a clinic here and there is none better. Check him out on YouTube then buy his video

Arky

Platinum Member
+ 1 on Florian.
He has a very modern approach to the brushes and is massively using linear motions. There's a lot of phenomenal brush players out there but if you want to come up with fresh concepts - absolutely check him out. His DVD "The Brush Secret" should have more than enough ideas and inspiration to keep everybody working for a while.
http://thebrushsecret.com/

Here's a cool solo from that DVD played on frame drums (notice the brush mounted on the bass pedal - and the bass drum is another frame drum).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS_wBIA0WqU

(BTW, he has a new project in the pipeline... I heard it from the man himself.)