Brush Lesson with Jeff Hamilton

Thank you.

This directed me to a great discussion of Hamilton with other brush players:

They mentioned a DVD 'The Art of Brush Playing' (without Jeff Hamilton, but other true masters), which further leads to this round table:

This is part one of the discussion, five parts in total. Without the actual teaching DVDs contend (couldn't find that online, for obvious reasons). What a deep rabbit hole ...

Thank you.

This directed me to a great discussion of Hamilton with other brush players:

They mentioned a DVD 'The Art of Brush Playing' (without Jeff Hamilton, but other true masters), which further leads to this round table:

This is part one of the discussion, five parts in total. Without the actual teaching DVDs contend (couldn't find that online, for obvious reasons). What a deep rabbit hole ...
That clip of Billy Hart at about 30:00 set off lights and fireworks in my little brain. I want to find that original dvd!

I found the DVDs on ebay and they arrived yesterday.

ArtOfBrushes.jpg

Great lessons, at least what I saw already. Best comment was Charli Pership on his brush playing at 320 bpm: "That was not fast." Uff.

A lot to learn now. But one thing came obvious to me already, watching these great players: you can really forget about books. There is no 'text book way of learning brushes". Everybody has to find his own way.

I found the DVDs on ebay and they arrived yesterday.

View attachment 144008

Great lessons, at least what I saw already. Best comment was Charli Pership on his brush playing at 320 bpm: "That was not fast." Uff.

A lot to learn now. But one thing came obvious to me already, watching these great players: you can really forget about books. There is no 'text book way of learning brushes". Everybody has to find his own way.
Wrote a review of that one....16 years ago!

Wrote a review of that one....16 years ago!
A late but cordial "Thank you" for this review. As I'm nearly done watching (not mastering, of course) the DVDs, I can confirm your statements. Some good laughs, and many 'eye openers' to me.
Sad that most of the instructors aren't among us any more.

A really nice lesson here. He gets a great sound when playing...

I agree-I've seen this before but thanks for posting it again. He's a master with brushes. I just caught this Ed Thigpen video the other day that I enjoyed watching. I love watching these brush masters. I can play hats with my brushes, but I don't know how these fellas cajole good ride cymbal sounds with brushes-mine just gong LOL. I love when Ed does that fast rattle swishing with one brush as he accents or circles the other. I turned it into a rudiment that I alternate with both hands.

Here's the rattle swishing at about 1:30. You can watch it on Youtube.

Last edited:
A late but cordial "Thank you" for this review. As I'm nearly done watching (not mastering, of course) the DVDs, I can confirm your statements. Some good laughs, and many 'eye openers' to me.
Sad that most of the instructors aren't among us any more.

Sure thing and yes, I'm glad they did that project to document those guys' techniques and approaches. I think Billy Hart and Ben Riley are the only two that are still with us.

I think Billy Hart and Ben Riley are the only two that are still with us.
Ben Riley is unfortunately not with us since about 7 years.

Last edited:
Personally I got almost nothing out of The Art of Playing with Brushes, and I have the full edition. 🤷🏻‍♂️ It was fun to watch those players, but that’s about it for me.

I learned how to play jazz brushes from Ed Soph’s short series on YouTube. I’ve not run across anything better than these short videos…

Jeff Hamilton has been one of my biggest brush influences - and drum influences really - and have seen him in clinics many times

I asked him this question one time; "what is the best ride cymbal for brushes"
his answer: "the one you have..."

it took me a minute, but I was like "oh yeah"...he just winked at me

The art of playing with brushes really opened my mind about doing it. Before that, i was studying boring patterns drawn in books without success and using audio samples only.

--> But seeing the drummer playing the brushes on video was really revealing for me. The video of Ed Thigpen was quite helpful also. Now i don'T feel like I need any more lessons on playing the brushes, I just do it and get better with practice.

For me it's mainly The art of playing with brushes, the old folks (Along with Steve and Adam) made it look easy and not rocket science like we see in some pretty boring books.

The art of playing with brushes really opened my mind about doing it. Before that, i was studying boring patterns drawn in books without success and using audio samples only.

--> But seeing the drummer playing the brushes on video was really revealing for me. The video of Ed Thigpen was quite helpful also. Now i don'T feel like I need any more lessons on playing the brushes, I just do it and get better with practice.

For me it's mainly The art of playing with brushes, the old folks (Along with Steve and Adam) made it look easy and not rocket science like we see in some pretty boring books.

99% of the time, I am a "by the book first" kind of guy, but I agree 100% that brushes have to be learned by listening/watching ---> doing ---> failing ---> re-doing etc. etc.

I could be mistaken but after trying some stiffer brushes for a while and then finding some old soft brushes in a bin, softer brushes are actually easier to get a clear sound with because you have to whip them- can’t treat them like sticks at all

Back