Bronze Snare Recommendations

Justinhub2003

Silver Member
Hi All

I'm looking to add a Bronze Snare to Round out my collection and wanted to hear some thoughts on the some of the ones I'm considering or even a suggestion of a few Im not.

I have 7 Snares at the moment, All from Ludwig (BB, Acro, Supra, Copperphonic, Raw Brass, Maple, Oak) but I'm not dead set on making this Bronze addition a Ludwig drum. I'm open to other brands.

Ideally I'd love a VK bronze snare or Sonor BUT my wife would kill me.

So the budget is $1000 or less and I'd like to stick with a 6.5" depth, but open to 8"

So Far there are the ones I'm considering and will pull the trigger next week:

• Ludwig Black Beauty Bronze (a re-issue for 2020): Retails for $829 BUT a seller on Reverb offered it new for $740!
  • Ludwig Bronze Phonic: $809
  • Ludwig Bronze Phonic B-Stock: $699
  • DW Knurled Bronze 14x6.5: $820 (from my local Drum Shop )
  • Gretsch USA Custom Bronze: $499
  • PDP Concept Select Bell Bronze: $899 (brand new model, expensive for PDP hardware though, but has a 3mm shell)
  • Pearl Sensitone Phosphor Bronze 14x6.5 (if I can find it): $600

Let me know Your thoughts.

I'm Currently leaning towards the Bronze Phonic B-Stock (only scratches internally) but the 3mm Shell thickness of the DW and PDP intrigues me.

Of the list, I can't help but to recommend the Gretsch. I have that one and it's not only a great price, but a fantastic drum.

Of the list, I can't help but to recommend the Gretsch. I have that one and it's not only a great price, but a fantastic drum.

Yea.

I’m usually not a gretsch kinda guy but it is a great price & I can buy solid Bronze to throw on it for less than some others on the list.

biggest issue, I just wish it was a little thicker.
That said, I wish the phosphor bronze edition was cheaper lol it’s a beast at 5mm

I have owned a 5” Ludwig Copperphonic as well as 5” smooth and hammered bronze snares . I do not own any of them . I found them all lacking compared to my brass shelled Black Beauty .

The Copperphonic has a particularly small sweet spot - frustratingly so . This lack of versatility compelled me to let it go .

The smooth and hammered bronze Supraphonics I found too dry for my taste . I can I’d Westland why some people could really like them , they just aren’t for me . I liked these far more than the Copperphonic .

The best value bronze snare is the Tama SLP Bronze . Excellent snare , lots of resonance and still articulate . Very cutting and bold . The hardware fittings and strainer are quite nice as well .

I'm a big fan of bronze snare drums and I spent a good share of time checking out a number of bronze snare drums.
I ultimately went with the 6.5" X 14" Joyful Noise Beacon Bronze and couldn't be happier.

One of the best-sounding snares I've ever played was a 6.5" smooth shell bronze Supraphonic.

I'll also vouch for the Pearl Sensitone. They aren't the bargain they used to be (no bronze snares are, sadly) but they are well made and sound great.

I failed to mention the Legend Phosphor Bronze Snare drum (currently discontinued) if you can find a used one. I prefer the sound of the 4" X 14" Phosphor Bronze Legend over the 6-1/2 deep model. Killer snare drum that is a well kept secret.

LegendBronzeLoRes.jpg

I know you're not dead set on a Ludwig bronze drum, but I just got done playing mine five minutes ago. A 5×14 smooth bronze. It's been a keeper for a lot of years. I can also vouch for the Pearl Sensitone Phosphor Bronze. Can't go wrong either way.

I know you're not dead set on a Ludwig bronze drum, but I just got done playing mine five minutes ago. A 5×14 smooth bronze. It's been a keeper for a lot of years. I can also vouch for the Pearl Sensitone Phosphor Bronze. Can't go wrong either way.

Yea So Far Im leaning towards a Ludwig Bronze Phonic. Im a little reluctant to get the Black Beauty version even though its a great deal.

Tha said, On the day I buy, Tuesday, I'll putting in an offer on a Dw Knurled Bronze with brass hardware, if they accept it, Im gonna do it just because its a 3mm shell and I want a thicker shelled Bronze Snare Much like Danny Carey of tool

Why not just get a bronze free floater

I’ve considered it. It’s just something about the look that bothers me. For the kinda money I’m dropping, I just want to love everything about it

I failed to mention the Legend Phosphor Bronze Snare drum (currently discontinued) if you can find a used one. I prefer the sound of the 4" X 14" Phosphor Bronze Legend over the 6-1/2 deep model. Killer snare drum that is a well kept secret.

View attachment 96502

Any idea on how thick bronze is ?

Hi All

I'm looking to add a Bronze Snare to Round out my collection and wanted to hear some thoughts on the some of the ones I'm considering or even a suggestion of a few Im not.

I have 7 Snares at the moment, All from Ludwig (BB, Acro, Supra, Copperphonic, Raw Brass, Maple, Oak) but I'm not dead set on making this Bronze addition a Ludwig drum. I'm open to other brands.

Ideally I'd love a VK bronze snare or Sonor BUT my wife would kill me.

So the budget is $1000 or less and I'd like to stick with a 6.5" depth, but open to 8"

So Far there are the ones I'm considering and will pull the trigger next week:

• Ludwig Black Beauty Bronze (a re-issue for 2020): Retails for $829 BUT a seller on Reverb offered it new for $740!
  • Ludwig Bronze Phonic: $809
  • Ludwig Bronze Phonic B-Stock: $699
  • DW Knurled Bronze 14x6.5: $820 (from my local Drum Shop )
  • Gretsch USA Custom Bronze: $499
  • PDP Concept Select Bell Bronze: $899 (brand new model, expensive for PDP hardware though, but has a 3mm shell)
  • Pearl Sensitone Phosphor Bronze 14x6.5 (if I can find it): $600

Let me know Your thoughts.

I'm Currently leaning towards the Bronze Phonic B-Stock (only scratches internally) but the 3mm Shell thickness of the DW and PDP intrigues me.

I have the Gretsch and it has to be the most warm - full body snare I've ever owned. I'm not even sure how to explain the sound - but it is very mature and deep.

Really great drum - still has some crack too.

I have a bronze 14x6.5" worldmax vintage snare, 10 lugs with single flange hoops. I don't think they make it anymore, but it was a brand new ebay bargain. I'm very happy with it!

Any idea on how thick bronze is ?

Honestly I've never been able to locate the specs on the Legend bronze drums. My snare has a thick, seamless phosphor bronze shell. Just for the sake of comparison my fully assembled 4" X 14" snare weighs in at 8.4 pounds.

Joe Montineri and John Roderick headed up the Legend series under Kaman Music. If you have a way to reach out to Joe or John they should know the specs on the phosphor bronze shells.

The 6.5" X 14" Legend Phosphor Bronze snare is an absolute beast. It's a cannon when you lay into it and it rings like a bell. It was too much drum for my tastes and I opted for the 4" X 14" because it is much more versatile for my style of playing. I learned about the 4" X 14" through the late Tommy Wells (Nashville session drummer) who raved about them.

LegendDrumAd 2.jpeg

My Ludwig Bronze Rocker 5x14 is one of my favorite snare values...I got mine super cheap and you can get one for only ~$300 or less. I'd probably recommend updating the strainer and wires for best experience. Bronze sings low, so a 5" depth is a great combo.

Here's my 2 cents worth.
1) Pearl Phosphor Bronze. Great sound, Well constructed, Best bag for the buck.
2) Gretsch USA Custom bronze. same qualities outlined above.

If you buy into the Ludwig or DW marketing hype, you'll be spending more money than you need to and not gaining anything other than joining the dime a dozen club.
As for the PDP, I think the Pacific line is as good as anything DW has to offer, but you can find older Pacific bronze models on Ebay or Reverb for 200-250 dollars. I've owned a few and they are awesome.
BOTTOM line.....try them all and let YOUR EARS decide, not marketing hype.

Based on an internet search, brass (copper + zinc) is softer than bronze (copper + tin). How does this affect the sound & tone of the drum?

Back