Broken Time Drumming is finished and out now!

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
Hi all,

As some of you may know, I've been working on my second book this year. It is called Broken Time Drumming, and is dedicated to the study of the eponymous style of drumming.

You can buy a physical copy or a digital pdf here: https://www.jonathancurtis.co.uk/shop

Here are some videos demonstrating the material:

Various members of this forum have contributed feedback and critique, which has been greatly appreciated.

I hope those of you that explore this book enjoy it, as I am really proud of how it has turned out.

I'd love to hear the thoughts of those that take a look.

Thanks to those that contributed and leant their support.

Jonathan

prokofi5

This sounds really interesting, but I'm wondering if there was a sample page anywhere I could take a look at. Sorry if I just missed it. Congrats on the release and good luck.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
Way to go Jonathan.

I don't quite get the broken time part.

The time seemed unbroken to me.

I'm sure I'm missing something.
Thanks Larry!

Broken time, in this sense, is a subset of jazz drumming; it’s like a style within a style. John Riley talks about it in Beyond Bop Drumming, and it’s the style I tackle in this book. I believe the origins of the term lie in the fact that the time feel is broken up across multiple limbs without any obstinate. All four limbs, essentially, comp together to create a flowing time feel.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
This sounds really interesting, but I'm wondering if there was a sample page anywhere I could take a look at. Sorry if I just missed it. Congrats on the release and good luck.
There isn’t currently a sample page, but that is a good idea. I’ll look into putting one up to be available, thanks for the idea!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Huge props on the dedication to task on this, & congratulations on the release of your hard work :)

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I've just watched the first video and Larry asked the question I was going to ask-so thanks to you both for your posits. I'm no jazz aficionado so new to me. It's a busy style with all limbs going and I really like that-but it does really flow and swing too (like crazy)-those slight pauses you do really add to that-it sort of ebbs and flows. Cool stuff and sure peaked my interest. Kudos to your effort and hope for success.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
I've just watched the first video and Larry asked the question I was going to ask-so thanks to you both for your posits. I'm no jazz aficionado so new to me. It's a busy style with all limbs going and I really like that-but it does really flow and swing too (like crazy)-those slight pauses you do really add to that-it sort of ebbs and flows. Cool stuff and sure peaked my interest. Kudos to your effort and hope for success.
Thanks so much for the kind words. First time I read through it, I thought you said "but it doesn't really swing", and I got very worried! Glad you think it swings! Thanks again.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Thanks so much for the kind words. First time I read through it, I thought you said "but it doesn't really swing", and I got very worried! Glad you think it swings! Thanks again.
No worries I communicate poorly. I was a research scientist by trade so leaned how to communicate where no one understands me LOL.
No I absolutely think it swings-I love it. I think you can use your ideas in other jazz fusion contexts which makes it hugely applicable and not just a niche thingy as you describe.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
No worries I communicate poorly. I was a research scientist by trade so leaned how to communicate where no one understands me LOL.
No I absolutely think it swings-I love it. I think you can use your ideas in other jazz fusion contexts which makes it hugely applicable and not just a niche thingy as you describe.
Well yes exactly - once the concept clicks, you can apply this material wherever you like. As you say though, it does lend itself well to jazz fusion contexts. I find myself playing material like this in a straight funk context, too, which can work really nicely.