Broken throw-off?

OrangeAgent27

Silver Member
Hey fellas, quick question on something that i've been having a little trouble with.

On my Chad Smith snare, I'm having an issue with the throw-off. I can only bring the tension of the snare wires about half-way and then it stops. On top of that, I can't close the throwoff once I get to that point. I can only close it if it is at about 1/4 tension. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? If it is as easy as buying a new throw-off, is there a model that anyone recommends or should I look for the same one? Thanks for all your help and God bless.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Sounds a bit strange, could you explain a bit more? Are you talking about actually bringing the snares in contact with the head using the lever, or using the tension adjustment?
Have you tried reattaching the snare 'tape' or whatever it's called in order to have a bit more room to maneuver?

A

audiotech

Did this just start happening? Is the Snare drum new. Did you ever take the wires off to change the resonant head? We need more information. In one way it sounds as if the wires are too tight that you can't fully engage the throwoff.

Dennis

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Did this just start happening? Is the Snare drum new. Did you ever take the wires off to change the resonant head? We need more information. In one way it sounds as if the wires are too tight that you can't fully engage the throwoff.

Dennis
My thoughts exactly.

Make sure the tension screw on the throw off is not screwed down already. If it is and you've put the wires back on, you definitely won't be able to engage the throw off.

OrangeAgent27

Silver Member
Hey, fellas, thanks for the responses!

So the snare is about 6 months old. Even with the snare wires off, the throw-off lever still refuses to close. I am talking about the lever that brings the snares up and down, yes. And I have to stop here because I've already forgotten the rest of the responses. ;)

OrangeAgent27

Silver Member
Ok, had to look at the thread again. I'm having trouble understanding this "tension screw" talk. I know what it is but are you saying that the screw is at it's max point, that's how I am taking it. If that's the case, I'll double check.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Have you removed the throw off from the drum and examined it in that manor?
It could be as simple as something being stuck in the mechanism.

Snare throw offs are not really that complicated.
Usually the problems with them are simple ones.

OrangeAgent27

Silver Member
Yes, sir, that is correct! Haha, beautiful picture too.

Also, I haven't removed the mechanism. Thats a great point and I'll do that tonight. Thanks for helping me!

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
are you saying that the screw is at it's max point, that's how I am taking it. If that's the case, I'll double check.
Yes mate....at least that was my angle. If the tension screw on the throw off is at "max point", then there is no play for fine tuning. Loosen it all the way out, then put the wires on. When you engage the snare wires again, there should be some play in the screw which will enable you to 'fine tune' the tension of the snare wires.

It may not be your problem....but I've done it myself when changing the reso head. I had a brain freeze and instead of loosening the screw, I tightened it. With the snare wires back on, I couldn't even get the throw off to engage half way. May not be an issue in this case, but worth checking.

OrangeAgent27

Silver Member
"I had a brain freeze and instead of loosening the screw, I tightened it"

Sweet Mother of God, this is embarrassing.

Exactly what happened, you nailed it. It amazes me that even with removing the snare wires and playing with the tension, it never hit me that it might be maxed out. Anyhow, I appreciate the help. Lets keep this just between us, fellas.....and the rest of the internet :(