Broken Rib Cartilage...

jjmason777

It's very painful just to breathe, let alone play drums...and I have a gig this Saturday for a charity (Autism). We committed to this in January, and it's too late to back out, and I have no sub. The band won't play with a sub anyway. So....I gotta suck it up and do this show. It's high energy classic rock and metal. Ouch! Any tips from anyone who may have been in this kind of a jam?

I assume it's only one side of your upper-body that hurts to use; that being the case, just alter your set list to include a lot more def leppard.
rick%20allen%20def%20leppard.jpg

I just solved your problem. Have a good evening.

Support it with an elastic bandage or something of the kind. If it's a little bit tight it helps to stop your ribs from hurting.

It's very painful just to breathe, let alone play drums...and I have a gig this Saturday for a charity (Autism). We committed to this in January, and it's too late to back out, and I have no sub. The band won't play with a sub anyway. So....I gotta suck it up and do this show. It's high energy classic rock and metal. Ouch! Any tips from anyone who may have been in this kind of a jam?

You may be surprised how fast you feel better. I would advise, don't take a bunch of pain medication before the show. That would be a different thread.

Any way you could put ice on it for 2O minutes a day? over a towel so you dont freeze the skin?

Good luck

Along with a back injury one of the most painful and frustrating injuries to have because there is literally nothing you can do about it but suck it up. Just try ice for 20 minutes then heat for 20 minutes as often and as long as you can do it and have the time to do it. Other than that just ibuprofin or Aleve for the inflamation. Good luck, been there, done that. I am actually filling in for a drummer this Sat who just messed his back up, got the call last night and will practice with them tonight..Keep the faith...

If you are a drinker, couple of shots of booze may help as well. Of course don't go overboard.

I'm with Polly...what does you doctor say about the situation?

Autism is a great cause to play for! Good Luck!!

I recovering from the same thing currently. I fell and landed on my upper rib cage playing basket ball. Nothing broke or cracked but the cartlidge took a pounding. Doctor gave me some good pain meds and told me to take it easy. It's been two weeks and i'm just now able to bend, take deep breaths etc...

You don't realize what all assocated with your ribs until they are damaged!

P.S. Sneezing is the worst. Keep a pillow handy to hug on when bending.

Put half a tube of Ben Gay on and wrap it with an ace bandage.

Thanks for the replies and well-wishes everyone!

Muckster - I feel your pain. Literally.

Grea & Specgrade - The doctor says there isn't anything to do but take some n-said type pain relievers. They don't recommend wrapping anymore due to the danger of pneumonia from restricted breathing!

Aleve helps with the pain somewhat, so I will play through it like the warrior that I am!

Last edited:
Wow, sore ribs are like a sore lower back. You wanna get rid of the pain?.................then die young. This is what we used to say to new recipients of our "medical device".................as you said....................."Suck it up, grandma" Good luck BRO!! Play like a ROCK STAR!

Thanks for the replies and well-wishes everyone!

Muckster - I feel your pain. Literally.

Grea & Specgrade - The doctor says there isn't anything to do but take some n-said type pain relievers. They don't recommend wrapping anymore due to the danger of pneumonia from restricted breathing!

Alieve helps with the pain somewhat, so I will play through it like the warrior that I am!

Ibu and Aleve definately helped during the day for work and driving and Hydrocodone from the doc for night time.

Back