bringing a Ludwig bronze 332xxxx back to life

jermss9

20200704_110709.jpghello all. I recently bought a used Ludwig bronze supra and its not in the best shape. not quite sure the year i think 90s 20200704_110654.jpgits got a couple dents I'm gonna try to work out, would like to throw new hoops on, thinking die-cast but if anyone thinks that'd be a bad idea on an older bronze let me know. I'd like to throw a new p88 throw and some canopus wires on. I'm also considering just getting new lugs and letting the shell look dingy and pitted as I like the raw look of the newer ludwigs. any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated as this is my first time fixing one up and is also my first bronze snare.20200704_110718.jpg

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Wow that poor shell. Looks like someone tried to sand out some tarnishing. I hope you got a good deal on it.

I dont think you will ever return it to smooth. Maybe you can with enough sanding, I know nothing about sanding bronze (are you 100% sure?). If it was me, i would stick it on a turntable of sorts, spin it and use like 800 grit to give it a brushed look. At least then the scratches all go the same way.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I like die cast hoops so I wouldn't have any problem using them on a bronze shell snare. An S-Hoop is another great option that's quite a bit cheaper.

Before sanding I'd probably start with some metal polish (or even just some Groove Juice) to see how it looks free of tarnish. If you're not too worried about cosmetics that may be enough restoration. Also, the lugs may just have crud needing to be cleaned off and may not be all that pitted. Some chrome polish and a toothbrush should help figure that out.

The bronze Supra might be the best sounding snare drum so congrats on having one! :)

jermss9

I like die cast hoops so I wouldn't have any problem using them on a bronze shell snare. An S-Hoop is another great option that's quite a bit cheaper.

Before sanding I'd probably start with some metal polish (or even just some Groove Juice) to see how it looks free of tarnish. If you're not too worried about cosmetics that may be enough restoration. Also, the lugs may just have crud needing to be cleaned off and may not be all that pitted. Some chrome polish and a toothbrush should help figure that out.

The bronze Supra might be the best sounding snare drum so congrats on having one! :)
thank you for the info and I think you're right! I'm gonna get some polish and I also read the finest steel wool you can buy for the lugs? might try it on a spare lug first. and thank you!! as I really only care about how a drum sounds and I thought it deserved to have some life thrown back into it! take care!🙏🏼

IBitePrettyHard

Don't buy new lugs, just polish them up. Even with some pitting they'll still look pretty nice.

Hoops on the other hand do tend to wear out due to warping and whatnot. But if the current hoops are true, you could try polishing them first.

TJK

You will be blown away by the sound, I have a hammered 6.5 and it is my lifetime snare

johnwesley

Silver Member
thank you for the info and I think you're right! I'm gonna get some polish and I also read the finest steel wool you can buy for the lugs? might try it on a spare lug first. and thank you!! as I really only care about how a drum sounds and I thought it deserved to have some life thrown back into it! take care!🙏🏼
NO to steel wool. Use a piece of wet aluminum foil on lugs and hoops. You'll be amazed. As for polishing the shell, it won't get rid of those brown corrosive spots.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
If you want your lugs to match the shell, by all means use steel wool. If you want them to be shiny and pretty, use aluminium foil and water as johnwesley alluded to.

The key words here are steel and chrome. Steel, no matter how fine, is still harder than chrome. It will scratch it. Aluminium is softer than chrome, it will not scratch it.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Chiming in with two foot-notes:

1: Most chrome polishes that you will find in the automotive arena are composed of aluminium oxide and water.

2: When using aluminium foil, there is a shiny side and a dull side. Use the dull side. The shiny side is coated with a neutral oil so that it comes easily off the rollers at the factory, and easily off the roll in the dispenser.

mikyok

Platinum Member
That's a beaut!

I've seen supras in way worse condition than that, I have a blue 402 (not guilty for the finish). At the end of the day sound is all that matters.

For me I'd just get some fresh heads and a few drops of 3 in 1 oil on the p85 and she's good to go, if you're feeling frisky put some 42 strands on the bottom ;)