Bright top/dark bottom hats?

HOUSTON 94

So, I'm due for new hats (thanks to the guitar center warranty, I "dropped" my old pair at a gig). I was playing 14" Sabian AAX-cellerators, but was thinking about maybe doing an AAX top over an HHXcellerator. Can anyone offer insight on this sound? Would doing that or something like that (A over K, MB20 over Byzanze, etc) contrast TOO much and sound off?

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I'd pair 'em up in a drum store and see what I thought of them. Zildjian did a similar thing but in reverse many years ago, with the K/Z Specials. Darker K over a brighter (not to mention much heavier) Z. Mixing and matching hats is certainly not unheard of, but using your ears will be the best way to determine which is the best match up for you.

As a side issue, how the hell can you claim a warranty over a set of hats you "dropped" yourself? Does that actually fly? Warranties are desinged to cover manufacturing defects.....not user error. I don't get this at all.

19drum94

Well right now I am using an HHX Evolution top over a Quickbeat top (for the bottom hat). That is my perfect hi hat sound right now and wouldn't use anything else at the moment. I flipped them around just to experiment and it sounded fine also. You should try it out first though before purchasing.

Last edited:

HOUSTON 94

I'll definitely hit some pies next time I'm at a drum shop, thanks for the input. As far as the warranty goes, if a new cymbal cracks, you have to go through the manufacturer , but if they are dropped and bent, GC will give you a gift card. I was unfortunately very clumsy as my warranty approached its end.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
As far as the warranty goes, if a new cymbal cracks, you have to go through the manufacturer , but if they are dropped and bent, GC will give you a gift card. I was unfortunately very clumsy as my warranty approached its end.
Man, you guys in the States get very well looked after. If I walked into a drum store here in Melbourne and said....you know that cymbal you sold me yesterday? I dropped it last night and it's broken. Would you be so kind as to give me a gift card for another?......I'd get laughed out of the store. Lucky bugger!!

Enjoy your new hats.....be careful not to "drop" this set......unless of course you don't like them either. ;-)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
A real heavy bottom with a thin top sounds great. Talking cymbals here, not women.
So, a real heavy bottom would make that cymbal bright and high pitched. The thinner it is, the more low pitched it is. I would think it would feel sluggish if you had the heavy bright cymbal on top and the thin one on the bottom.

But if you're really interested in low pitch, get a heavy crash and thin crash, in 17 inches and use the thin crash as your top. It'll be the phattest hi-hat sound you've ever heard.

elliherrera

K's are pretty good, but maybe a lil dark sounding, or a mix of a Sabian 14" AAX Stage (top) and HHX Evolution (bottom). I am thinking out loud here, but I do recommend you could do like what the others said as well to go to GC!