Brian Blade or Dave Weckl?

I think he could be a first call session guy, or even better, join a band that had a singer where he would be forced to economize his ideas and parts.

Alot of DW fans like myself have wondered the same thing.

Does he want to tho...is his 32nd note fusion chop reputation a negative to singers...his personality...pretty sure he likes to be in complete control.

Probably there's a reason why it hasn't happened - certainly not lack of ability!

Recently, a fellow drummer and myself got into a pretty heavy argument over the drummers Brian Blade and Dave Weckl. The reason being is Dave Weckl came up in conversation and I noted that I don't like his playing, I think he is too much of a show-off, doesn't play tasteful stuff, and I think that he plays corny stuff. He took this very offensive and tried to back Dave up by saying that his hand and foot conbinations were pretty much impossible to be done by anyone else.

I brought up the fact that Brian Blade is more of a drummer I would want to listen to because what he plays is tight, tasteful, and always groovin. He is never doing stuff that is flashy and show-offy, however he is doing stuff that is just as complicated as the stuff Dave Weckl is doing.

Later, my other buddy brought up the fact that there are musicians who play for the altheticism and try to show off all of what they can do (in my opinion Dave Weckl, and the guy I had an argurment with), and then there are musicians who play to be in the pocket, tasteful, and musical (in my opinion Brian Blade, and me).

No drummers are alike but still there is a fine line in what people want to hear. Some would rather listen to Weckl, and other Blade.

What do you guys think on this subject, and who would you rather listen to?

Also, feel free to mention any other drummers that fit in the category of your listening.
I think Dave Weckl is the greatest drummer in modern history. Just the sound of his snare alone is phenomenal. In "Dis Kinda Place" he is relentless, playing as if it's natural and normal to sound spectacular. Ok, everyone has their own favorites, so this is about my taste and my ears. Thanks for the post!

Dave Weckl doesn't play tasteful stuff???...plays corny stuff???...What are you talking about??..really man why start silly threads like this??..Weckl is one of the most respected drummers in the industry..
For my taste, Dave Weckl is the best. The sound of his snare and the rest of his kit are a "thrill" a minute. What a sound!

@Dook I love how you just resurrected an 11-year old thread!

I also happen to agree with you about Dave Weckl being (one of!) the best drummers in modern history. I don't like elitism, so I don't want to say he is the best, but if I had to, gun to my head, he would be a prime candidate.
Hey, fun stuff. Lots of great drummers but Dave Weckl has that sound that really makes me feel great. I've been listening to Senri Kawaguchi: Wupatki Triangle Live - Jazz Japan Award. She's such a hard worker and she always looks totally thrilled to be sitting in that seat.

I like both of them. I have CD's by both of them. I like jazz and fusion, so they are both right up my alley. Peace and goodwill.

I've seen them both, and IMO, Brian is so musical and dynamic, making the right choices, more so than any other drummer I've seen. I could watch/listen to him all day.

Dave's an amazing technician, also musical, but more about the chops. Fun to listen to as well, but I definitely have a limit with him.

Love them both, and I agree w/the apples and oranges comments.

Recently, a fellow drummer and myself got into a pretty heavy argument over the drummers Brian Blade and Dave Weckl. The reason being is Dave Weckl came up in conversation and I noted that I don't like his playing, I think he is too much of a show-off, doesn't play tasteful stuff, and I think that he plays corny stuff. He took this very offensive and tried to back Dave up by saying that his hand and foot conbinations were pretty much impossible to be done by anyone else.

I brought up the fact that Brian Blade is more of a drummer I would want to listen to because what he plays is tight, tasteful, and always groovin. He is never doing stuff that is flashy and show-offy, however he is doing stuff that is just as complicated as the stuff Dave Weckl is doing.

Later, my other buddy brought up the fact that there are musicians who play for the altheticism and try to show off all of what they can do (in my opinion Dave Weckl, and the guy I had an argurment with), and then there are musicians who play to be in the pocket, tasteful, and musical (in my opinion Brian Blade, and me).

No drummers are alike but still there is a fine line in what people want to hear. Some would rather listen to Weckl, and other Blade.

What do you guys think on this subject, and who would you rather listen to?

Also, feel free to mention any other drummers that fit in the category of your listening.
Both
At 63, an eternal student, I love both of them.
I love their styles, chops, taste, approaches, and their accomplishments. There is so much to learn and enjoy from both.
I'm a Jazz and Fusion fan to my grave.

As drummers, I appreciate them both and enjoy their playing. Blade is closer to the way I (aspire to) play though, and his drum sound is one of my all time favourites.

It's much more one sided as far listening to the music, not just the drums, though. I'm not aware of much that Weckl has played on that I particularly enjoy.

Much like all the metal guys who may be great drummers, but I don't enjoy the music.

:)

Apples and oranges for me.

Yes, really different styles but regardless, I avoid pitting guys against each other.. moods and preferences can change day to day. And at that level, you're just a great drummer and no better or worse than another great drummer. Just different, and that's what's so magical about music. We all play it differently.

I think Weckl is underrated as a musical drummer. He may have a flashy style compared with Blade, but IMO he plays for the music first.

Yes, really different styles but regardless, I avoid pitting guys against each other.. moods and preferences can change day to day. And at that level, you're just a great drummer and no better or worse than another great drummer. Just different, and that's what's so magical about music. We all play it differently.

I think Weckl is underrated as a musical drummer. He may have a flashy style compared with Blade, but IMO he plays for the music first.
One of the best opinion-based responses I've seen anywhere. I couldn't agree more.

Fairer question IMO, who was preferred in Five Peace Band, Vinnie or Brian Blade? It was interesting and fun to hear the different interpretations.

My 2 cents, Vinnie's comfort zone for sure and leaned more 'fusion' with his style. Brian filled the sub surprisingly better than expected, I was initially surprised but the group leaned more straight-ahead feels, a bit more dynamics for more texture. He probably had the tougher job filling in after alot of music established (plus having to follow Vinnie).

I think some Dave's earlier stuff came across kind of like 80's hair metal on a drum kit. Not as much dynamics or timbre nuance. I think that might just be an artifact of what the kits were like in the 90's.

I just checked out some of his current video's, and I think he has kept with the time pretty well, looks like something Jojo Mayer might do:

Back