Breakdown of Speeds = Foot Technique

whitecatcafe

Can somebody give me a breakdown of speeds = foot technique? For example I know that ankle motion is utilized from 180 bpm (16ths) onwards. How about leg motion?

Try it for yourself. That's the best way to feel the change over from leg to ankle.

Play 16ths starting at 140 for a few bars then up the tempo 10 clicks and try again. Keep going and note the tempos and what your legs are doing at those speeds.The changeover is gradual and some tempos can be played either legs or ankle or a combination.

There are actually 3 levels (per George Kollias)

Legs with one leg planted (like 1/4 notes at 100 bpm)
Legs moving in coordinated motion
Ankle

Try it for yourself. That's the best way to feel the change over from leg to ankle.

Play 16ths starting at 140 for a few bars then up the tempo 10 clicks and try again. Keep going and note the tempos and what your legs are doing at those speeds.The changeover is gradual and some tempos can be played either legs or ankle or a combination.

There are actually 3 levels (per George Kollias)

Legs with one leg planted (like 1/4 notes at 100 bpm)
Legs moving in coordinated motion
Ankle

Cool, gonna try this myself. Don't know why I didn't think of that haha

"Legs moving in coordination motion" means ankle + leg right?

Cool, gonna try this myself. Don't know why I didn't think of that haha

"Legs moving in coordination motion" means ankle + leg right?

No, it's like 16ths at 120 BPM. It is what you normally think of when you think "Leg"

When you go really slow like 8ths at 120, one foot will be down while the other is up.

When you go to 16ths at 120, neither leg is "down" for any length of time. That's what I meant. It sounds much fancier than it is. But it is a different motion than 8th notes at 120.

No, it's like 16ths at 120 BPM. It is what you normally think of when you think "Leg"

When you go really slow like 8ths at 120, one foot will be down while the other is up.

When you go to 16ths at 120, neither leg is "down" for any length of time. That's what I meant. It sounds much fancier than it is. But it is a different motion than 8th notes at 120.

Aah ok, got cha. Thanks!

Back