Bread

mikyok

Platinum Member
Having a bit of an easy listening day at work and this came on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckmkfYdvev4

Can anyone tell me who plays drums on this song. I've a feeling it's one of the Wrecking Crew. All I can find is Jim Gordon played on the first album but didn't he and Hal have identical studio kits?

That 12/8 feel in the verses is pretty speedy for one hand and the bass drum work is really tasty and really drives the song. Just a shame the drums are really quiet in the mix.

Haven't heard this song in years and how have I not noticed how good the drums are!

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
Mike Botts was their drummer (and afaik the brain of the band). Very good drummer but not really well known. Played very tight, accurate and worked later as a session-drummer. He died way too early.

I stumbled upon Bread some time ago and still love their music. Very creative band.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Mike Botts was their drummer (and afaik the brain of the band). Very good drummer but not really well known. Played very tight, accurate and worked later as a session-drummer. He died way too early.

I stumbled upon Bread some time ago and still love their music. Very creative band.
Cheers for the info!

My folks had a best of lp which I played to death when I was a kid but only really listened to it for the harmonies.

Nancy_C

David Gates!!!

SQUEEEEEE!

One of my sisters had two or three Bread albums, back in the day (don't I feel old every time I type that!). So soft rock-y, and David Gates was dreamy — they all said so.

I remember hearing, "I found her diary underneath a tree, and started reading about me," and thinking it was an outrageous violation of privacy. As the youngest of four kids, privacy was a big deal when I was a pre-teen.

Thanks for the memory! And the education. I didn't know who the drummer was, and back then, I usually paid attention to drummers. He probably should have been better known. And now he is, at least a little bit.

NVIC

Almost certain Hal Blaine played on some of their best known songs. I may be wrong though. David Gates' melodies were the best. Wish he would tour at least a little.

opentune

Platinum Member
All I can find is Jim Gordon played on the first album but didn't he and Hal have identical studio kits?
Jim and Hal had (very) different kits. Hal had his blue sparkle Ludwigs and/or eventually his fibreglass monster kit. Jim was big on his Camco's. Jim started on percussion in early sessions, eventually getting Hal's overflow. There is a lot of details on Jim in his thread.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Mike Botts grew up in my home town. I never got to meet him but a classmate of mine was Mike's next door neighbor. One very talented and tasteful drummer.

No idea who recorded this particular session. Wish there was some form of accurate documentation to give all the session players their due just for the sake of history.

Brian

Gold Member
Jim and Hal had (very) different kits. Hal had his blue sparkle Ludwigs and/or eventually his fibreglass monster kit. Jim was big on his Camco's. Jim started on percussion in early sessions, eventually getting Hal's overflow. There is a lot of details on Jim in his thread.
OT but Jim had many drums and kits as you know....I think he (at least) had Ludwig vistalites, two Camco kits, and these...not sure what make/model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7FJ9Bppalo&index=20&list=PLv1XOsc-rwnFKfTSSaxwm2zNkpIcA71VN

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
AFAIK, Jim Gordon was the only session-drummer who worked for Bread. And only for the first album in the studio. Botts became a band-member in summer of 1969 already, shortly after the album-release and played the concerts with them already as a full band-member. He was their drummer till the end.

Hal Blaine never played with Bread. That would be news to me. On the Bread albums, they always list Botts as drummer & percussionist for all tracks except first album which was completely recorded by Gordon. Blaine played with the Carpenters, Neil Diamond, Simon&Garfunkel, Fifth Dimension, The Vogues etc. but definitely not with Bread.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I thought Jim had the Blaemire Toms as well. The Layla album has a tom sound that's very similar to Hals sound.

The drum sound from his Zappa stuff and George Harrison albums are really low and punchy.

Off topic I know but I love Jim Gordon's ride sound. I'd love to know what it was, someone mentioned here it was a 22" A Ride.

I'll check his thread out!