Brass snare wires

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I've been using Puresound's brass wires on all 6 of my favorite snares for probably 3 years now

Initially I was like this is the cat's pajamas...

One by one, they are coming off in favor of either Blasters or Puresound's Custom series.

The brass has super good articulation and has it's uses. I imagine if someone needed a thin orchestral snare tone on a drum with a 2mm snare side head with the PS brass wires, that to me would be the ultimate in sensitivity.

But here's the rub, the brass wires...loses the ballsy low end that the carbon steel wires have. Especially at lower, looser tunings. I was so enamoured with the high end articulation of the brass wires that I didn't notice the low end ball loss. Bad Larry!

The brass wires sound better on a high tuned drum. But on a low tuned drum I'm not digging it

I was trying to get this great (to me) low tuned, loose wired, sloppy, sloshy, snare sound I really dig. This was on my Carolina steambent birdseye maple snare 14 x 6. Which made that sound great when I first got it. The other day I just couldn't get that sound from it no matter what I did. I do know the formula. Papery is the sound I was getting at the lower tunings.

So I deduced that it was the wires and sho' nuff that was it. I have no problem and even like the brass wires on my maple Guru, but I am probably going to try and see if I like the PS Custom's carbon steel wires even better. I forget what they sound like on that drum.

The moral of this story I'll leave to you. Other than I can't trust my own ears sometimes, I'd like to hear your take

Try a set of Fat Cat Adjustable.

B2C8B1CD-3832-4D8A-B929-B5BBFB94E6E8.jpeg

i switched to puresound 24 strands from the standard ludwig ones and i will not change it for quite a while, it’s great

I have a stack of different Puresound wires on hand that I use on a number of my snares. The two Puresound series that I currently like the most--for different reasons--are the Equalizers (12-stand and 16-stand) and the Concert Series wires (12-strand and 16-strand). The Concert wires have more bark (louder), more articulation and a fuller presence. The Equalizers are great on wood shells where I want to hear more tone from the wood and a little less presence of the snare wires.

That being said I have three different versions of the Canopus Vintage Series snare wires coming my way soon. Going to put them through their paces on a number of snares. Stay tuned, I'll post my take on them.

I've ventured into the Canopus wires lately. Bought a set of vintage and two sets of Back Beats. Liked them both. Pure sounds have been pure junk lately, The solder joints leave sharp edges that press against the snare side head, Had a couple punctures. To be fair not all the Pure Sounds had that issue. I'm done with them. The Pure sound brass snares are a lot more mellow than the steel ones. Some may like that. For some styles of music it might be the ticket. I have a couple sets but neither are currently being used.

Puresound Equalizers on my 7×14 Noble and Cooley SS maple snare really pronounce the warm intrinsic qualities of the drum. Yet I haven't had great results on my metal snares. I stick with standard chrome wires.

They are expensive but Sonor makes some killer snare wires. I have steel, bronze and Brass versions that all sound awesome.

However on a Supraphonic, I do love the Canopus Vintage wires

All my snares currently have the Blasters. They give me just what I was looking for; Extra crisp and snappy response.

Just follow up on my other post about wires sympathetic Vibration, if I was in need of snare wires to relocate ones on my Snares, Tama Star Reserve, which ones should I take? If I like them, better to be safe and to buy them from Tama or better try some other ones?

Last edited:
Just follow up on my other pist about wires sympathetic Vibration, if I was in need of snare wires to relocate ones on my Snares, Tama Star Reserve, which ones should I take? If I like them, better to be safe and to buy them from Tama or better try some other ones?
There are lots of great alternatives. I have two Tamas and I really like the stock wires, so I would say buying from Tama is a good idea. But it’s not the only good choice. I also like Canopus, Fat Cat, Oriollo, and the generic “German style” ones from Taiwan.

Just follow up on my other pist about wires sympathetic Vibration, if I was in need of snare wires to relocate ones on my Snares, Tama Star Reserve, which ones should I take? If I like them, better to be safe and to buy them from Tama or better try some other ones?
The Tama snappy that come with Star Reserve drums is ”Super Sensitive High Carbon”. They also offer brass and the standard Starclassic high-carbon snappy.

The Tama snappy that come with Star Reserve drums is ”Super Sensitive High Carbon”. They also offer brass and the standard Starclassic high-carbon snappy.

super, thanks, I will order some me in advance so, if they happen to be crooked or anything I will have them.

Back