Brass snare thoughts?

Drum Guy

Trying to decide between a new Ludwig Raw Brass 6.5x14, or a British Drum Company Bluebird COB 6x14, or Oriollo Giromondo 5.5x14 (raw or brushed?) brass. 5.5x14 is not a problem depth for me. And would want it to be seamless.

I'm hoping to be able to get basically this 5.5x14 sound from any of the above mentioned snares -

What to consider re: longevity quality, possible resale in the future. anyone have experience with Oriollo brass or new Ludwig raw brass?

thanks

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Sound first, looks second. This assumes a good quality long lasting construction, which is pretty much included with any drum these days. Me I don't ever consider resale value because everything depreciates. I don't buy something with the thought of selling it. If I did, why am I buying it in the first place? Ease of tuning...that's a user thing. Drums these days tune wonderfully, if you know how. The real deciding factor is the sound and how it makes you feel playing it. In short, follow your heart not your head.

trickg

Silver Member
Trying to decide between a new Ludwig Raw Brass 6.5x14, or a British Drum Company Bluebird COB 6x14, or Oriollo Giromondo 5.5x14 (raw or brushed?) brass. 5.5x14 is not a problem depth for me. And would want it to be seamless, not sure if British Drum CO is seamless - anyone know?

I'm hoping to be able to get basically this 5.5x14 sound from any of the above mentioned snares -

What to consider re: longevity quality, possible resale in the future, and ease of tuning? What else? Y'all own any of the above? What do you think?

thanks
That sounds pretty danged nice, but I'm thinking that it's going to have less to do with the drum itself, and it's going to have more with how it's set up - which heads it has on it, and how it's tuned - as well as how you hit it.

My thought - and I know that you and others may scoff at this - is that you'd get pretty close to that with a Ludwig Black Beauty, or possibly the COB "Super Ludwig" if you can find one.

Last edited:

Drum Guy

haven't thought about the super luddy COB...oh no, now I've got another choice to deal with :)

funny thing is most the drums we're taking about I can't preview in person - so hoping to get enough input from y'all and my own youtube research to decide soon.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I love my Oriollo 6.5x14 brass. Actually sold my Black Beauty after I got the Oriollo. But you can’t go wrong with any of the ones you mentioned.

IBitePrettyHard

Carter McLean's drums sound unreal, mainly due to his skill, but also by having the perfect recording/tuning conditions and a healthy dose of post-production EQ. All I'm saying is, you should temper your expectations when comparing your drums to Carter McLean's drums. He makes his drums sound larger than life itself. The rest of us are unlikely to get the same snare drum and have it sound as good as Carter does.

That being said, I have an issue with the Ludwig Raw Brass snare. It lacks low end compared to other Ludwigs.

Compare these 2 videos. Listen for which has the better low end.
Raw Brass 6.5
Super Brass 6.5

Drum Guy

"The rest of us are unlikely to get the same snare drum and have it sound as good as Carter does."

This is probably true, I was just hoping to get close.

Currently I'm leaning towards getting the Oriollo brass 5.5x14, but wondered what's an appropriate price for it, as well as can it be customized re: the throw off, say a DW mag or Trick - anybody have experience with ordering from Serbia?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
"The rest of us are unlikely to get the same snare drum and have it sound as good as Carter does."

This is probably true, I was just hoping to get close.

Currently I'm leaning towards getting the Oriollo brass 5.5x14, but wondered what's an appropriate price for it, as well as can it be customized re: the throw off, say a DW mag or Trick - anybody have experience with ordering from Serbia?
Vukan is a good guy and he really takes care of his customers. You can rest assured he's for real. He's always pushing the envelope on his designs and makes improvements. He makes great snares and kits.

But yeah, I'm like Larry - I don't buy for resale value - I buy because I really like it. If it doesn't work out, then I move it along, but I don't ever expect to get my money back because it's used at that point.

Question: have you considered brass offerings from Pearl, Tama, or Yamaha? How bout Gretsch? I have a wonderful 6.5 Pearl Sensitone Premium brass, and a 6.5 Gretsch USA COB - and both are lovely drums (I'm partial to the Pearl though, it seems to open up better).

oriollo

We're selling mostly in USA.
Can customize it - feel free to contact us directly.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
haven't thought about the super luddy COB...oh no, now I've got another choice to deal with :)
Just so you know, the old Ludwig Super is a welded shell, not seamless. Nice drums though, you'll pay a premium price for one.

Bermuda

Drum Guy

Vukan is a good guy and he really takes care of his customers. You can rest assured he's for real. He's always pushing the envelope on his designs and makes improvements. He makes great snares and kits.

But yeah, I'm like Larry - I don't buy for resale value - I buy because I really like it. If it doesn't work out, then I move it along, but I don't ever expect to get my money back because it's used at that point.

Question: have you considered brass offerings from Pearl, Tama, or Yamaha? How bout Gretsch? I have a wonderful 6.5 Pearl Sensitone Premium brass, and a 6.5 Gretsch USA COB - and both are lovely drums (I'm partial to the Pearl though, it seems to open up better).

yes I did look at Yamaha, Tama, Pearl, Gretsch, but really want a seamless brass, 5.5 to 6.5x14 - if I didn't care about that, I'd probably get the Bluebird from British drum Co.

Tossing now between Ludwig raw brass and Oriollo

cbphoto

Gold Member
Tossing now between Ludwig raw brass and Oriollo
Then, to me, at this point it would be about the hardware. Especially the snare wire tension mechanism (will it loosen under hard playing?) and the throw-off (is it difficult to operate mid-song?).

Last edited:

Drum Guy

very good point - so how does Oriollo stack up re: this? Ludwig I've tried in person and it seems fine. I've got a few DW's that are great.

Drum Guy

well I couldn't find a seamless brass with features that I wanted with good price, and then I stumbled onto a mint condition Q Drums Gentlemen's copper 5.5x14...never thought about copper - price was $300 less than new - so I bought it...maybe arrive in a couple days.

Copper, hmmm, never even considered it...price made me say OK

markiet1966

well I couldn't find a seamless brass with features that I wanted with good price, and then I stumbled onto a mint condition Q Drums Gentlemen's copper 5.5x14...never thought about copper - price was $300 less than new - so I bought it...maybe arrive in a couple days.

I love copper drums, but it's a very different sound than brass!

Mark

trickg

Silver Member
I love copper drums, but it's a very different sound than brass!

Mark
A number of years ago my wife said she'd get me a new snare for my birthday. This was right after Pearl had released all of the various flavors of the Sensitone Elite - it could be had in brass, bronze, aluminum and steel. I knew I wanted one, but I was on the fence between the brass and the bronze, and ultimately I got the bronze. I realize that bronze isn't copper, but it didn't end up giving me the sound I thought I wanted out of it, and after a number of years of it sitting on a shelf, I sold it to fund a DIY project on a padauk stave drum shell snare - another snare I never could seem to find a way to like. I still have that one, but I've considered stripping the hardware (Pork Pie bowties lugs and a Trick 3-position snare throw) and doing another build.

Getting back to that bronze snare, some people really liked it, but to me it was always too dark, and it didn't have that bright ping/ring to the sound that brass tends to have.

justadrummer

Congratulations on the new drum. Copper drums sound great, but somewhat different than brass as Mark commented. I have a Ludwig raw brass "Copper Phonic", I'm finding it to have it's own personality, very versatile. If down the road you decide that you still have an interest in brass snares, I have my own insights that I'll share.

I have a bunch of different brass snare drums from various manufacturers. Slingerland, Rogers Dynasonic, Gretsch 4160, Ludwig Brass Edition Supraphonic, Ludwig Brass Beauty 5" and 6 1/2" versions, and a Gretsch Bell Brass, which is it's own separate animal. Although I don't currently own them, I've also owned various brass snare drums from Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, and Ahead over the years.

With a bit of careful tuning every single one is capable of a similar sound. They won't sound exactly alike, but you can get very close. Some tune easier than others. I have a lot of love for the Gretsch 4160, I think that it is under rated and often overlooked. I love the rim shots on the Gretsch with die cast hoops. 1960s Slingerland snare drums with COB hoops, and Ahead with it's "S-hoops" are also stand outs when it comes to rim shots. I owned 14" and 13" versions of the Ahead, I really regret selling the 13" as it did have it's own special vibe.

Answering some of your questions...

I've found the Ludwigs, Gretsch, Ahead and Pearl drums particularly easy to get a good sound out of. The Ludwigs with Imperial lugs do seem to detune faster than examples with tube lugs in my experience. Rogers Dynasonics are finicky, but really worthwhile once you get them dialed in.

Ludwig has used various throw-offs over the years. Although I'm not crazy about the P-85, I love the P-86 and it is a simple swap. The Gretsch Lightning throw off is in my opinion one of the better "old" designs.

You mentioned resale value. Ludwig usually wins that war. Their brass snare drums in particular really hold their value. Of course the other side of that is that if you are willing to buy used, you can find great buys from many of the other brands that I've mentioned. As far as value goes, I think that a clean Pearl brass Sensitone is one of the best values out there.

These are my opinions, your mileage may vary. :)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I have no experience with copper snares. But from what I gather here, they are awesome. A little darker from what I understand, but don't quote me.

I think I hit a Copperphonic at NAMM once but 99% of the drums I played at NAMM that year weren't tuned worth a damn. Which I completely don't get.

Brass and bronze are mostly copper anyway, so an all copper drum isn't that much of a departure from brass.

We hope you tell us all about it after you've played it some.

jdavis

As long as we're talking about brass snares, I'll make the obligatory Pork Pie BOB recommendation. Even though it's not a seamless shell, it's just a good brass drum that's a helluva value, IMO.