Brand new drums with undersized shells

Bytor

I just picked up a set of Ludwig Evolution Maples. They are a short lived upgraded run of the Evolution series with 7 ply maple shell with lacquer finish. Everything looked good until i tried to upgrade the heads with Evens coated G2’s. I found that the heads are too big for the shells. The problem is so extreme that the head won’t fit inside the bass drum hoop. I started measuring and comparing to my older Ludwig set and found the new shells are 3/16 smaller across. old 12” Tom measures 11 7/8” and the new 11 3/4
I know Sonar has undersized their shells to get better Bering edge contact and a few vintage sets. The problem is all Evens heads have “360 tec” wich also makes the head fit looser for more even bearing edge contact.
Here is a video demonstration.

Attachments

Bytor

The heads that came on it are loose but fit better. I really don’t know What to do. It took forever but I was able to get the toms tuned. The bass drum I was simply unable to use new heads so the originals are back on. The Toms, I will give them a few days and see if they stay tuned.
The original heads are Remo (made for Ludwig) pinstriped 2 ply UT (China version). They rig for days. i may have to bring a drum with me to the music store and shop by fit. I really like the G2 heads but they may not work and I’ll have to find an alternative. Something that play warm without dampening.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Have you actually tried putting the hoops over the heads and tightening them up? I've had "play" in the heads before (though not as much as you have) and once the hoops were on and the drum tuned, all was well.

TJK

Damn I would assume undersized shells would be a good thing. I am looking to buy the same kit for cheap from Ludwig direct. I’m questioning it now

TK-421

I just picked up a set of Ludwig Evolution Maples. They are a short lived upgraded run of the Evolution series with 7 ply maple shell with lacquer finish. Everything looked good until i tried to upgrade the heads with Evens coated G2’s. I found that the heads are too big for the shells. The problem is so extreme that the head won’t fit inside the bass drum hoop. I started measuring and comparing to my older Ludwig set and found the new shells are 3/16 smaller across. old 12” Tom measures 11 7/8” and the new 11 3/4
I know Sonar has undersized their shells to get better Bering edge contact and a few vintage sets. The problem is all Evens heads have “360 tec” wich also makes the head fit looser for more even bearing edge contact.
Here is a video demonstration.
Unless math has changed recently, 11 7/8" minus 11 3/4" equals 1/8". Not that it really matters. But could you try some heads without the 360tec?
And out of curiosity, does anyone know what a 12" Sonor tom measures? I'm curious how that compares to your new Ludwig.

PS: "...and the Snow Dog"

Bytor

Unless math has changed recently, 11 7/8" minus 11 3/4" equals 1/8". Not that it really matters. But could you try some heads without the 360tec?
And out of curiosity, does anyone know what a 12" Sonor tom measures? I'm curious how that compares to your new Ludwig.

PS: "...and the Snow Dog"
I read somewhere it was the same. 11 3/4 For the Sonars. You are right in the math but the actual measurements were little more then 11/16 vs 14/16. I rounded the 11 up to 12. Because I fear odd numbers 🤪

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Take the stock head and compare the collar to the new Evans head. If the diameter is the same, there is no problem. As long as the collar seats inside the hoop, you are good to go.

Bytor

Damn I would assume undersized shells would be a good thing. I am looking to buy the same kit for cheap from Ludwig direct. I’m questioning it now
They really are Beautiful, quality drums and Ludwig’s customer service can’t be beat. My 2nd bass drum was sent free from Ludwig to make up for the bass drum head/hoop issue.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

I remember reading somewhere that some bass drum hoops don't have a recessed area on the inside of the hoop that goes against the ring of the drum head, which can make mounting some bass drum heads an issue. Do the problematic bass hoops have this issue?
Could all of your tom rims be bent/warped due them being the super thin hoops (1.3-1.6)?

dwsabianguy

I can't speak for 12" Sonor toms but my 14" Delite snare measures 13.7" across. My Yamahas and Tamas are about 2/10" undersized, as well. I find undersized shells a lot easier to work with, to be totally honest. Might take a bit more care when fitting new heads so they don't pull off to one side but then there's zero binding of the head on the shell.

I've also heard that Evans have the largest flesh hoops of the big three, and I can speak from experience that Aquarians have the smallest, to the point where they wouldn't fit on my glass glitter Pearl Masters, nor evidently on my Ludwig Standards when they were rented for a session on behalf of an Aquarian endorser. Maybe Aquarian kick heads would be worth a try on your kicks?