Bozzio style melodic drumkit in progress.

Mikecore

Silver Member
This is about where my big beastie is at right now. DW piccolo toms which I stripped and repainted. Tuning goes from a low A on the right to a high C on the left for a 2-1/3 octave range. I'm presently learning about modal music with this. The bass drums are temporary. I will have slightly different sizes for them (that 14" left kick, for example, is only there so my left foot has a target to hit).
picture.php

The cymbals are also a little different since I took this pic. Now all of the china stacks are in one group up front, and the crashes are out on the fringes.
picture.php

Wow that is a monster kit!!

I Love it! I can't imagine how much that MONSTER costs.

Inspired by bozzio? you don't say... hehe

please don't tell me that's the kit you haul around to gigs.....

-Jonathan

Cool looking kit man. I am a big fan of Bozzio, throughout his career. There are a few but not that many drummer who play in the melodic style. I try to think melodicily with my playing to an extent, but my kit has nowhere enough stuff to play an entire scale. Maybe one day.

Do you incoporate the melodic/mutli-pedal ostinato thing into any of the groups you play with?

Thanks to all for your kind comments. Most drummers I know are like, "Feh! What do you need all of THAT for", and make some snarky business about Buddy Rich!

Pass: No, I have a MUCH smaller gig-rig that goes up and tears down quickly and fits in the back of my '86 Mazda 323. My band gigs about 3 times a month or more, and mostly they are "one set out of three or four band" kind of things. Cost no object as far as cymbals and hardware are concerned. You get what you pay for, and Sabian has made a lifer out of me for their attitude about making more Radias for me when the time comes. PDP bass drums and DW piccolo toms are a cheap cheat around Bozzio's maple spaceship, although maple shelled toms would sound better.

Jimtyler: I have seen your videos before. Nice work, and somewhat unique, even within the already strange world of melodic drumming! The piccolos might work and they are inexpensive enough (about $90.00 a pop on the street), so the rest is up to your ears. I'm probably going to "Kellerize" all of them for better sound and tuning consistency.

Bram: Thanks about the site. Web design is a side interest of mine that has come in handy now that I'm about to share a few things musically. If the pics don't come up here, they are in my "Mike's Vizzies" album in my profile.

Theindian: I have not had the opportunity yet to incorporate all of that noise into a group of otherwise well-behaved musicians, but I'm also still getting myself back up to speed on the solo application of all of this. I have not played that many pedals in some years, so I'm giving myself to about the end of the year to get the first recordings out there. I tried to bring something like this into the jam space, and they all got very upset with me.

Maybe if Billy Sheehan and Paul Gilbert are getting bored.....

Thanks again guys!

Back