Bounce?

johnnylaw

Greetings All,

Yesterday I stumbled into a music store which had a refreshing assortment of upper echelon cymbals racked up for the tapping, so, tap I did. Istanbuls, Constantinoples, HHXs, AGOP, etc. Needless to say, there was much to be pleased with under the circumstances.

I particularly enjoyed the K Constantinople 22" Bounce Ride. Come to find out they are not the only outfit that manufactures a "bounce" ride.

Pray tell, from where comes the term "bounce ride". Is it a tactile feel, a musical style, a timbre, or what?

Just curious.

Thanx

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Zildjian had an "A" series bounce ride in their catalog up until some point in the late 70's/early 80's (?)

I believe the term came from the 1940's/50's, when jazz drummers started keeping time on the ride cymbal, and players would "bounce" their sticks off the ride to make the typical jazz ride pattern we now take for granted.

http://books.google.com/books?id=AaSH0JLRct8C&pg=PA21&lpg=PA21&dq=bounce+ride+cymbal&source=bl&ots=eFczYcHkLw&sig=_ILn89f1BNaDJeWW79NL9uT-5pk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=j5MWUqeFNK2UjAKb8IGwBA&ved=0CIEBEOgBMAs4Cg#v=onepage&q=bounce ride cymbal&f=false

brady

Platinum Member
I'm not sure where the term "Bounce" really comes from. I used to have the K Constantinople Bounce Ride...actually I still do, I'm looking for a buyer. (Shameless plug, I know.)

Anyway, I didn't find it any "bouncier" than any other ride I've played. The Zildjian one, designed by Kenny Washington, is supposed to be modeled after vintage K cymbals; very trashy.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I'm not sure where the term "Bounce" really comes from. I used to have the K Constantinople Bounce Ride...actually I still do, I'm looking for a buyer. (Shameless plug, I know.)

Anyway, I didn't find it any "bouncier" than any other ride I've played. The Zildjian one, designed by Kenny Washington, is supposed to be modeled after vintage K cymbals; very trashy.
That's funny they'd actually use both terms. "Bounce Ride", that's like saying "meat steak". Back in the old days before the word "ride" came about, they used the term "bounce" because that's what your sticks did for the ride patterns - they bounced. They used to call the hi-hats "sock cymbals" and before the hi-hat stand came about it was called a 'low boy'. It's like learning a dead language ;)

johnnylaw

Thanks Bo.

I suspected some esoteric historical explanation for the terminology.

It seems to have been resurrected (or devolved) into a marketing term. Like adding the sizzle to your otherwise plain meat steak.

porter

Platinum Member
Meat steak. Lol. I'm gonna use that next time I order steak in a restaurant just to see the servers expression.
I will have a food steak with the vegetable potatoes, and a liquid beer to mouth drink. Understand??

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Meat steak. Lol. I'm gonna use that next time I order steak in a restaurant just to see the servers expression.
Unless your server is a drummer. In which case he'll want to sit and eat with you and after dinner you guys will go out and pick curtains ;)

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I will have a food steak with the vegetable potatoes, and a liquid beer to mouth drink. Understand??
Haha! Comprehensibly understand! Followed after by dessert cake! Then I will money pay for the bill check. Don't not forget to remember to give tip gratuities to your waitress server.

Mouth drink almost kinda made me butt poop!