Bottom drum heads?

TheEpigone

As a preference of mine, on my acoustic set I play my toms with no bottom drum head on the. The bottom of the drum is simply open. Is this a bad thing? I've never really had anyone to ask this question to before, then I found this place. I find the drums sound more "open" so to speak, and obviously you just have one side to tune, making that part of the drumming process go much faster and you don't have the chance of the heads fighting against each other if you tune them wrong. Is there a downside to this I'm unaware of?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
They were very popular back in the 80's. Just a different sound. If it is the sound you want rock on. Be careful not to mess up the bearing edges on the reso side in case you plan to use the reso heads in the future.

jt.mcrae

...I find the drums sound more "open" so to speak...
What do you mean by open? Generally, when referring to drumming, an open drum is one that resonates freely. This works due to sound waves bouncing back and forth between the batter and resonant heads (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the physics behind it).
By playing without a resonant head your drums would most likely sound 'dry' and 'punchy', due to this lack of resonance between heads. I'm not saying this is bad thing, like with anything in drumming it's all about personal taste.
Maybe get someone else to play your kit, whilst you stand back and listen. The sound you hear from behind the kit will be very different to the sound out front :)

Jackson

TheEpigone

I can see where I was confusing to begin with. I just thought the sounds were more... man I suck at describing sound... I guess more "airy"? What you said about "open" makes sense. I personally really like the way they sound and was just wondering if it was endangering any part of the drums that I was unaware of.

By the way, I'm kinda new to the terms and lingo in the drumming world. Ive been playing for about thirteen years and just never really had to talk drums with anyone. This may be why I can't put my thoughts into words very well hen it comes to sound.

Also, could I use the reso heads I took off as replacements for the batters? They're the same right?

Now I also realize there is a whole forum section for "Drum Heads and Sticks"

Sorry

jt.mcrae

Also, could I use the reso heads I took off as replacements for the batters? They're the same right?
Nah you're right mate. Don't worry

Sure you can use them as batter heads but it depends on the weight (thickness) of the head. Resonant heads in general are thinner than batter heads (massive generalisation, sorry) so they might not last as long, or produce the same sound, but there's nothing wrong with using them, I mean they're all made out of the same material, it just probably wont sound the same. Unless you're using heads of equal weight on either side. A Remo Ambassador combo on top and bottom is quite common.