Bosphorus master Vintage weight

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
Hey all !

I will be buying a 22" master Vintage ride soon ( previously had 21" ) online .
There are videos of how each weight sounds but this is very much influenced by the room the cymbal is played in , so it's difficult to make the decision (since it is all online, not many of those where I live )

For those with experience , will a weight of 2000 naturally have less stick definition that a cymbal of 2200 ? Or does the lighter weight just affect the wash and tone ? I remember my old 21" having almost no wash (limiting the projection ).. but maybe it was a heavy model . So I'm thinking to have a lighter model with more wash

There are videos of how each weight sounds but this is very much influenced by the room the cymbal is played in , so it's difficult to make the decision (since it is all online, not many of those where I live )

For those with experience , will a weight of 2000 naturally have less stick definition that a cymbal of 2200 ? Or does the lighter weight just affect the wash and tone ?

Recordings can have a lot of variables to them. Different mics have wildly different frequency responses, even mic to mic of the same model can be very different. A given mic placed one foot from the source will sound different than that same mic 2 feet from the source. Room differences are also part of the equation but they mainly affect lower frequencies. And then there are the codecs that allow them to be recorded and streamed.

If ALL other things are exactly the same (which they are not) it’s my opinion that a heavier cymbal will have more ping/stick definition than its lighter twin. I don’t think a 200 gram difference is a big delta though. But I’m just another guy with an opinion ;)

Hey all !

I will be buying a 22" master Vintage ride soon ( previously had 21" ) online .

For those with experience , will a weight of 2000 naturally have less stick definition that a cymbal of 2200 ? Or does the lighter weight just affect the wash and tone ? I remember my old 21" having almost no wash (limiting the projection ).. but maybe it was a heavy model . So I'm thinking to have a lighter model with more wash
A cymbal that is 200g more or 200g less will always alter the sound...except when it doesn't.

Like @dboomer said, there are too many other factors that obfuscate the results.

If you were in a lab with 2000g cymbals that were exactly the same and 2200g cymbals that were exactly the same...then yes, the lighter cymbals would probably have a warmer, slightly less cutting attack. But the differences would be miniscule, especially if it's only a 200g difference.

In the real world, there's a good chance the 2000g cymbal might even have the SAME level of stick definition, you just never know.

Perhaps the biggest difference I've seen with slightly lighter models is that they are more crashable. Noticeably so. Even a small difference of 200-400g can make a ride crashy vs not crashy IMO. It's not guaranteed though.

You can really drive yourself into the ground with thinking too much about this one ..

I'll wing it and see what's up . Thanks guys :)

Trust your ears if you like what you hear.

Also Cymbals Only currently has two Bosphorus 22" Vintage Master cymbals (2085g and 2086g) posted with audio files:

Posting to add that one of the factors is the type of stick and stick tip you use and WHERE on each cymbal you strike it.

I have 2 Zildjian 21" Sweet Rides, one is noticeably higher in pitch than the other, EXCEPT each cymbal has a its own unique spot where if played there, the 2 cymbals sound the same...to my 49 year old ears.

... the 2 cymbals sound the same...to my 49 year old ears.
That's a very important point. We all hear and percieve things differently. Certain frequencies may be accentuated and others may be lost to damage. If only I could re-head my eardrums. Coated Ambassador preferably.

Back