Bosphorus Hi Hats

kick2crash

Hi all, i'm looking for some advice on Bosphorus hats. I've been watching a million youtube videos and listening to clips, unfortunately i'm not really close to any stores that have them. Right now I have A custom Mastersounds 14" which are good but I'm looking for something darker. Something dark with great stick definition but can still cut through at live shows. I play a lot of modern funk/jam band or even dance type stuff with horn sections so it can get a little loud.

I'm looking at
13" or 14" New Orleans, a little worried they may not cut through?
14" Versa
14" Groove hats by Stanton Moore

The other brand I was kinda thinking was Zildjian K Hybrid hats but they may not be dark enough. Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Or any other options you would like to mention?

Thanks for any help, i'm going crazy trying to figure it out.

Captain Bash

Silver Member
The Bosphorus Groove hats (I own 14” and 15” versions) are great all round hats, they sit somewhere between bright n dark. The New Orleans series are definitely the quieter of the two series, they are pretty thin and very responsive, ideal for playing small pubs/clubs when you want to play slightly open but don’t want massive volume. The New Orleans are my go to hats for all acoustic gigs. Lots of tone, fast response but nothing brash abrasive.

So out of these two It seems the Groove series is more appropriate.

kick2crash

The Bosphorus Groove hats (I own 14” and 15” versions) are great all round hats, they sit somewhere between bright n dark. The New Orleans series are definitely the quieter of the two series, they are pretty thin and very responsive, ideal for playing small pubs/clubs when you want to play slightly open but don’t want massive volume. The New Orleans are my go to hats for all acoustic gigs. Lots of tone, fast response but nothing brash abrasive.

So out of these two It seems the Groove series is more appropriate.
Thank you for that info. I do like the idea of a little quieter hi hat to go with my loud a customs. I'm not finding any used groove serious available.