Bop kits

C.M. Jones

Absolutely! It’s funny what the non-drumming public perceives. I caught on pretty early and have been milking it for quite awhile. Hilarious to me to bring in an 18” or smaller bass drum to appease the venue then stick a mic in it and make it as loud as any size bass drum!! 🤪😂
You should try walking in with a marching snare sometime, just to see the response you elicit. :)

TK-421

It's somewhat of a gimmick, flowing from the belief that certain drums and cymbals are better suited for specific genres and that you need several setups to possess a well-rounded arsenal. Don't hurl tomatoes just yet. I know bop kits are smaller and are generally used for higher tunings. I'm not saying they're pointless or ridiculous. What I'm advancing is that you can play bop, or any kind of music, on any drum set. You don't need a different kit (or different cymbals or sticks) for each style of music you perform. You just need to be a flexible drummer.
So are you going to play a bop gig with this?

95B2E7E0-5D38-4731-ABB0-CDF197828D40.jpeg

C.M. Jones

So are you going to play a bop gig with this?

View attachment 93831
To be perfectly candid, I'd be afraid to go anywhere near that ominous rig. A loose stand would be life threatening. Furthermore, setup and breakdown would take longer than the performance itself. Nothing about that monstrosity conforms to the dictates of logic. Only an alien lifeform could relate to it, specifically one with six arms.

Rotarded

I was regularly playing small gigs in very tight spaces so I built a stainless steel BOP (12,14,18) kit out of Ludwig marching tri-toms. It was relatively cheap as I already had 75% of the parts thanks to years of random hoarding, and it fit a need. It's actually quite well suited for full sized rooms as stainless steel sounds deep and projects well.

SS BOP.jpg

Steve30907

I think the full stage music venue is dying off to a degree so smaller kits are an answer to that for guys that don't wanna get stuck playing a cajone in the corner of a bar or restaurant.

I love my little nesting set with the 16" bass drum and shallow toms. The Ride is attached to the bass drum, so it takes up very little space and I can carry everything in one trip or even take them with me on the streetcar if necessary. I used them a few times in a very small restaurant with next to no space: I sat in a door frame with the drums cramped between a table and the piano - there would have been no way to set up a larger set, so I was happy to be able to play with those guys. One of the other musicians recommended, I'd play a Cajon before - no thank you! Who wants to hear April in Paris with a Cajon?!? In the end, I was one of the quieter players there but the stigma seems to be that drums are always too loud and I really had to convince the owner and musicians that I could bring some regular drums.

roncadillac

I love my little nesting set with the 16" bass drum and shallow toms. The Ride is attached to the bass drum, so it takes up very little space and I can carry everything in one trip or even take them with me on the streetcar if necessary. I used them a few times in a very small restaurant with next to no space: I sat in a door frame with the drums cramped between a table and the piano - there would have been no way to set up a larger set, so I was happy to be able to play with those guys. One of the other musicians recommended, I'd play a Cajon before - no thank you! Who wants to hear April in Paris with a Cajon?!? In the end, I was one of the quieter players there but the stigma seems to be that drums are always too loud and I really had to convince the owner and musicians that I could bring some regular drums.
"Umm... No. I ain't slappin' no box. Not even for your $30 and a couple 'band tab' bud lights."

roncadillac

I was regularly playing small gigs in very tight spaces so I built a stainless steel BOP (12,14,18) kit out of Ludwig marching tri-toms. It was relatively cheap as I already had 75% of the parts thanks to years of random hoarding, and it fit a need. It's actually quite well suited for full sized rooms as stainless steel sounds deep and projects well.

View attachment 93833
So awesome! This is one of my dream projects! I always wanted a full stainless steel kit, didn't want to pay several thousand for one, and prefer small drums anyway (16 and 18" bass drums) so I've been planning on building one from orphan toms for years.

RickP

Gold Member
My all time favourite small bop kit was the pictured Whitney Nesting Penguin 16 kit . The shells are two inches in diameter smaller than the shell diameter . So a 16” headed bass drum has an 18” shell . These drums sound way bigger than you would expect . Very fat and round sounding . Best part is they nest and when nested in the provided Ahead padded drum bag they weight less than 35 lbs !!

I am planning to look into getting another kit next year . Best nesting kit made IMHO .

Attachments