Bop kit - Yammy vs PDP

Rolltide

I like maple , the PDP has a great tone. Stage Custom is more refined and better hardware .... which is better for a jazz kit ?

harryconway

Platinum Member
Have you checked out Mostly Bop Drums video's ? They post here. They cover both those kits. Typically, both these kits are sold as shell packs, so I'm not quite sure what you mean, about better hardware. Personally, I prefer Yamaha hardware ..... so any kit I play gets surrounded by Yamaha stands. If I had the PDP ..... the only PDP "hardware" I'd be using might be the tom holder. Then again, the rack tom might get suspended on a RIMS and flown off a cymbal stand. That's how I run my RMV bop kit (18, 12, 14). I also recently picked up a Stage Custom 18, 12, 16.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 5

IBitePrettyHard

I think the PDP Concept Maple sounds better. It has a richer, warmer tone, and it's more resonant.

Not that the Stage Custom sounds bad, it still sounds pretty good. And of course, the hardware is better on the Yamaha (except the 18" kick only has 6 lugs.)

Based on sound alone, I think the PDP wins with flying colors.

Those lugs tho...

Neal Pert

I think the Stage Custom bop kit is one of the best values out there. For actual acoustic jazz playing it crushes the competition even a couple price points up. I'll also emphatically say that the six lug 18" bass drum is REALLY easy to tune and doesn't detune, in my experience. And yeah, those PDP lugs...

Rolltide

Yammy is more refined and a classier look , PDP sound is good to me ear- which kit will sound best in a deep lower tune setting ?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
For a slight upgrade, you could get the Yamaha Stage Custom with the 20” bass drum for $679. It comes with 10/12/14 toms and even a matching snare drum. 18” bass drums are too small for me and lack that low-end thud you may need occasionally. Birch or maple isn’t that big a deal to me - if you can play it won’t matter. But the $679 for slightly more makes better economic sense because it can do more than just polite Jazz.

Superman

Gold Member
Long Island Drum Center has a brand new 5 piece Stage Custom kit in red for $499. 20" bass drum. I'd get that if I was in the market.

wildbill

Platinum Member
For a slight upgrade, you could get the Yamaha Stage Custom with the 20” bass drum for $679. It comes with 10/12/14 toms and even a matching snare drum. 18” bass drums are too small for me and lack that low-end thud you may need occasionally. Birch or maple isn’t that big a deal to me - if you can play it won’t matter. But the $679 for slightly more makes better economic sense because it can do more than just polite Jazz.

I agree with this. I've had a couple Yamaha bop kits and a few of the 5 pc. kits with the 20" bass drum.
Unless you've really just got to have an 18" bass drum, the 20 is the better value with the extra tom and the snare drum.
It's also more versatile for all around use.

The bop kits were fine, and I would have no reservations using them if the occasion would arise.
I really didn't like the 'toy drum set' look of the 6 lug bass drum, but it sounded good.
I also think the bop kit did good at medium to high tunings.

I don't really have any experience with the PDP's, but I'm sure they'd do just fine too.

Last edited: