Books with CD on Sight Reading for drummers

pearlnl

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could advice me some books on sight reading for drummers that have a CD included. Although I read a little bit I would like to start at the basic level.

Can you also let me know if you own the book yourself and how you experienced it?

I know that there are lot of sight reading books available, some with CD and some without, but I am unable to make a decision on which one to pick. Since a CD provides me with a definitive answer on if I play certain bars correctly, that is a must for me.

--
If there is any DVD available on sight reading for drummers or something that you might think be of use for me, please feel free to post ;)

Thanks !

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
For beginners I recommend Ultimate Play-a-long for drums by Dave Weckl.

I love Groove Essentials, but the great thing about Dave's books is that it covers just the meat and potatoes, the charts are full length and the cd has both play-a-long tracks without drums as well as all of them tastefully played by Dave.

There are lots of books like this, but this is the one I recommend starting with. There's also a Volume 2.

pearlnl

Thanks to all for sending me a reply with tips.

The thing is I really want to learn to read music for drumset. I sometimes feel that although Groove Essentials is great -- the reading level is a bit to high. Thats why I want to start at the very basics to make sure I understand what is noted.

I guess a snare drum book should be fine for that cause..

If you wanted to learn how to read drum-set music where would you start? I think the Primary Handbook for Snare Drum w/CD. might be a good one :)

If anyone has other suggestions please let me know :) Thanks in advance

topgun2021

Gold Member
What are you having trouble with exactly?

Do you know what the different note and rest values are? Can you count?

If you answered yes to those questions, I would find a book for the drum set. If you answered no, then go for a snare drum book.

I, personally, don't know why people find it hard to read drum set sheet music. You identify what note correlates to what piece of the drum set and play what you see.

Wavelength

Platinum Member
I, personally, don't know why people find it hard to read drum set sheet music.
People are different and learn things in different ways -- and some people just can't learn to sight read, for example, no matter how much they put hours in. I have a few students who can groove out phenomenally, yet have serious problems with their reading. I also have students who can read like nobody's business, but have serious problems with their overall groove playing.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I, personally, don't know why people find it hard to read drum set sheet music. You identify what note correlates to what piece of the drum set and play what you see.
I don't know why people find it so hard to read Greek....or Russian.....or Swahili......I mean, it's just like English right? The concept is the same......letters of the alphabet arranged on a page to construct words that form sentences that therefore allow one to communicate? All you've gotta do is read and follow along.

Unless of course, you haven't learnt the Greek (or Russian or Swahili) alphabet....then you're royally screwed. So what do you do? You equip yourself with the skills to learn the new language.

Pretty much what I see the OP trying to do here. :)

pearlnl

Thanks for your new suggestion.
To clarify a bit - I can distinguish note values and stuff when I really study it. The thing is that I need to make sure that those values become sort of a second nature so I do not have to study them to find out what it was actually -- but that I instantly know which figure to play.

That would give me a great basic tool to start utilizing other drumbooks.

As mentioned I am looking for a good foundation and I feel that with your suggestions that would be possible :) Thanks again for that.

And Pocket-full-of-gold is right when he says that I am trying to find tools to build and develop that skill. Some people might find it really easy and I fall in the category of people that do not, but thats alright. I just think that everyone experiences certain areas that are like a natural talent, and some areas that need a lot of hard work. We're all different, and that makes some things easy for one and difficult for another...