Bonzo envy

jda

Silver Member
But also see what and how others did what they did..
We (as humans) learn from each other ya know..
Don't exist in isolation.
There's no 'being you' without influences and the things that influence.
Just 'being you' could be 'no striving'. If so then don't expect too many results.

Some of the great drummers had nothing but drums..
A lot of us live in a relative comfort +/- .
But when it comes time to 'forget all the comforts' and go for it is when we get into their territory.
Such a desire may be half of it.
That's how those names get known around the world.
Sometimes it's not a pretty picture when (their lives are) put under a microscope
but the other hand is their name is known in 'perpetuity
(not saying it's always worth it) Just saying- coffee talkin'

Last edited:

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
who would want him to.
O you're saying he couldn't? wait wasn't he playing a toy set with his son in their living room. Kinda mellow
total human Dad.
Or the verse in what is and what should never be; kinda bluesy mellow.
No I'm saying someone whose personality leads them to drag racing and hard partying seems a perfect fit to play raucous music. Not saying he couldn't play chill music at all.

Perhaps I should have gone the other route and said it would be difficult to hear someone more like Ringo playing Zeppelin songs. Ringo is very chill. It would be weird.

I'm cant sit still and like playing metal, it makes sense. I get the feeling you are a bit eccentric and like playing jazz. That would make sense too. No offense meant by this by the way.

Reactions: jda

jda

Silver Member
yes Metal for me goes up to about 1974 I haven't paid any attention to it since then. Black Sabbath Grand Funk Atomic Rooster Deep Purple bands like that; I had my fill; of the style. Yea I'm old(er// bear in mind I memorized those bands) and is in my playing dna (just buried under 10 other genre's
(word wouldn't be eccentric (lol) esoteric maybe Yes. But I like it (and study it) that way)
for example

Last edited:

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Buddy Rich is my favorite drummer, hands down. I have accepted the fact that I will never be anywhere near his level. Hardly anyone was or is.

Just be the best drummer you can be within your chosen style of music. That's all you can do, Unless you practice for umpteen hours a day, which for most people, is not realistic.

Use Bonham as an inspiration, not an impediment.

Quoted for absolute truth!

All of us bring our own unique slant to what we play, and that is often the reason we can't nail someone else's playing 100%. Obviously putting in the work can close that gap, but recognizing that a perfect match probably isn't attainable or realistic. It's important to recognize that 5-ish percent "short" is just your own personality coming through, and having it is just as (if not more) important as being a clone.

jda

Silver Member
we don't become a clone when we put our own 100-110-115% in-
just watch the health aspects of Living life on the edge or Buddy didn't suffer what How many heart attacks from nothing

" I could have been successful in music/ show business/ but saw that it was just too dangerous and too risky"
lol was once a famous quote

jda

Silver Member
don't chicken-out take your playing to the limit; just to see where it goes..
I could never not- -push forward - evolve smooth some idea's out- but know many seem content just showing up; which works for them.

Last edited:

wildbill

Platinum Member
You'll never be as good as him, so you might as well just give up now. :p

I'm a legend in my own mind, so I don't have anything to live up to. :ROFLMAO:
(I'm pretty good, but I've seen many others who are better. But honestly, it doesn't bother me one tiny bit).

Last edited:

1 hit wonder

My untrained perspective locally, based on performing live music starts at my level. I play for pay 2-3-4x weekly in a band that is ok. All players are not equivalent in ability. Some are progressing and some are not. This drummer is topping out in my paid work level. This drummer has no or little paid session knowledge.
There is no advancement without much and regular practice. I see people regularly trying for years but who never achieve my limited level. I just happen to work with a band that is aggressive about playing multiple times per week.

The next level is a drummer doing a similar amount of paid performance but is noticeably better, more polished with better vocabulary and is turning away work from groups due to available time but they do, or can do, session work. Their band members are all in like development stages above the average level of the 1st group. Frequenty above the top level musician in the first group.

Most people never advance beyond those 2 levels.

I know much less about the following descriptions, but the 3rd level doesn't appear much unlike the previous level and the 2nd level might have also been at/near this level, but it's a player that is dialed in with industry production personnel on a greater areawide level and has a command over a genre or perhaps several. They are in a group meshing on a level you don't usually see at the previous levels. They get there by blossoming within that core group, and they can parlay that to working with others when not in the initial group.
This level is where you break into commands in ability in Bonham's level ranges. That means much more than being able to mimic his licks.

Then there's the top level. I don't know what it takes, but you don't go directly from level 1 to the top.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
This is a really interesting post. Without hearing you play we don't have much to work with but it has made me consider the following points.

I think a persons sound is like their fingerprint, there are nuances in our playing that we would struggle to put our finger on without some very clinical analysis that we will probably never bother to implement.

To some degree, his sound is down to his physiology and perhaps embracing what came naturally to him. He might have thought that he sounded awful using any other approach than the one he had, and so developed himself in the unique direction that he did because it was the clear way forward. I can remember Allan Holdsworth making a comment like this about his own style.

If you've gotten yourself to sound 95% similar to your hero then you've probably worked much harder to sound like him than he has worked to sound like himself, and that is admirable considering the above. It's possible that you do some things BETTER than he did and you are unfairly criticizing yourself for failing to imitate what are really imperfections, or tiny subtle nuances signature to him.

Perhaps you've gone as far as you can go by copying him directly, and you can develop more by studying topics that approach what he did, perhaps find out who his biggest influences were, what music he played along to, what books he had. He started as a jazz drummer apparently, if you can't play jazz - learn jazz and then come back to playing Led Zep and you might find that the penny has dropped.

Ask if what you admire in him is actually a trait in all great drummers (e.g great time), and your error is idolizing him when the skill you supposedly lack is something you CAN develop.

My last point I think is illustrated in the comic below, it may contradict some of what I've said above, but again, haven't heard you play so I'm only guessing here. Definitely don't get depressed. Perhaps you need to idolize someone else for a while.

education.jpeg

I thought I'd share my band's led zeppelin medley. Admittedly I haven't done everything I can to learn all his parts. Perhaps I could take a leaf from your book.

Bozozoid

Gold Member
Why is your goal to be someone else? Be yourself.
Not to be him....to be so effective that you are literally irreplaceable. His absence folded the world's greatest rock band. I've zoned in on my playing many many times after recording....and or being recorded live. There are times that I'm OK with what I've done but NEVER have I EVER thought that I was anything special. Actually I'm better than most of the locals but that means precious little to me. I'm complimented often but it's just comments from people making the scene
Not only do I not measure up..ive rarely heard others where I've thought I was listening to anything extraordinary. I've heard very nice drumming all over the place but magical?..no. Bonzo was truly magical.

JimmyM

Platinum Member
Not to be him....to be so effective that you are literally irreplaceable. His absence folded the world's greatest rock band. I've zoned in on my playing many many times after recording....and or being recorded live. There are times that I'm OK with what I've done but NEVER have I EVER thought that I was anything special. Actually I'm better than most of the locals but that means precious little to me. I'm complimented often but it's just comments from people making the scene
Not only do I not measure up..ive rarely heard others where I've thought I was listening to anything extraordinary. I've heard very nice drumming all over the place but magical?..no. Bonzo was truly magical.
Would he have been magical had he not been with the others?

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Another word for playing in the "110% to 125%" zone is
"Playing like there's no tomorrow"

That's all you can do, be what you want to be every time you play. Figuring out how to get closer to your ideals is kind of the eternal thing-- including seeking out better playing situations.

Also, the reasons why most people don't sound as good as John Bonham playing rock:
-- sound
-- time
-- intensity
-- lack of being in Led Zeppelin

BobC

Quoted for absolute truth!

All of us bring our own unique slant to what we play, and that is often the reason we can't nail someone else's playing 100%. Obviously putting in the work can close that gap, but recognizing that a perfect match probably isn't attainable or realistic. It's important to recognize that 5-ish percent "short" is just your own personality coming through, and having it is just as (if not more) important as being a clone.
Thank you and well said!