Bonham-Style Solo

The Scorpio

Here's my solo from my last Jainway gig. As you'll see it's pretty much all Bonham licks, but I still had fun with it!

WARNING: I drop a few expletives towards the end. I didn't know this was being filmed and it was at the end of our set so my tongue was a little bit on the loose side. Sorry about that!!!

Kyle

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=440103902739839

Hope you guys can follow the link to Facebook. As far as I know it wasn't put on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UPwDcjpAm8

Here's a previous solo with the same themes. I prefer this one it has better pacing.

Last edited:

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
The FB link doesn't work for me Kyle, I would love to hear your solo, can you upload a different link? like YouTube?

Cheers

Henri

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Fun solo Kyle. I gotta hand it to you, I would never want to be the center of attention for that long, although the crowds reaction certainly helps. I'm scared to death to go out of time. The bands I'm in frown on that anyway, so I never went there. Can you believe that? It does take all the pressure off. But anyway, very Bonham-esque for sure. I liked it and admire your comfort level for the whole thing.

Swexx

I really enjoyed the youtube video. It's a very long solo but you made it interesting from beginning to end, and that's what matters.

A

Anthony Amodeo

nice playing
drums sound great as well

very Bonzo indeed

The Scorpio

Thank you guys very much! It's always a lot longer than I remember lol. I've really gotta work on my pacing. I liked the pace of the youtube video, but not the one from Facebook. On the one on Facebook, I spent too much time building to each theme and not enough time playing the theme. Not that dynamics are a bad thing, but for this type of show it seems to work better balls to the wall. I should probably keep having each solo filmed to get it figured out.

Anyone catch the 21st Century Fox Fanfare at the end? I'm trying to get my bandmates to play it with me haha.

The Scorpio

Fun solo Kyle. I gotta hand it to you, I would never want to be the center of attention for that long, although the crowds reaction certainly helps. I'm scared to death to go out of time. The bands I'm in frown on that anyway, so I never went there. Can you believe that? It does take all the pressure off. But anyway, very Bonham-esque for sure. I liked it and admire your comfort level for the whole thing.

It's very frightening for me sometimes. Especially when the crowd reaction isn't there. The flip side of going out of time is that it's very liberating. I feel like I can speak more clearly that way, if that makes any sense lol. Your band's should totally let you out!! I'd love to see it!!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Going out of time is liberating. It takes all the pressure off. Plus, when you stop and switch gears, it gives them a place to cheer you on (hopefully). Going out of time is only an option in my 6 piece band. The other band won't have it. Staying in time and retaining the song form during a solo is probably my weakest thing. The time thing is easy, playing something that sounds good naked isn't. Retaining the song form....depends on the song. Some songs I get totally lost on. The ones where I can keep the form in my head, I'm usually not happy with what I play during it, because the form takes all my brainpower and what I say during it takes a back seat. I need 2 brains. I so admire jazz drummers who play a meaningful solo and end right at the beginning of the progression. I also admire the other musicians for being able to count 64 bars of solo and come in on cue too. Wow what a skill.

The Scorpio

I have the same problem retaining the song form. That's why almost every solo I play is out of time. I feel like this is one of those times when sticking to the piano would have helped. The guitarist in one of my bands asked me once if I could do the solo in time so I gave it a shot. He and the bass player kept this really sparse and chill groove going the whole time. But eventually I just got so uncomfortable I went back out of time and got back in when I was done. I feel like if I was more familiar and comfortable with metric modulation I could have gotten through that situation more fluidly.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Well played John... err, Kyle, sorry, I was still in the solo mood :)

Honestly, very cool solo Kyle, Bonzo's influences are all there, very nice (lucky?) stick catch up too, also a very good right foot, it's not easy with such a big batter head to have the same response as a smaller bass drum, the drums sounds good too... and last but not least, the audience liked it, it's good for the adrenaline :)

Thanks for the YT link, it gave me the chance to listen and watch you play, which is not often enough BTW, you should post more of your playing Kyle :)

The Scorpio

Well played John... err, Kyle, sorry, I was still in the solo mood :)

Honestly, very cool solo Kyle, Bonzo's influences are all there, very nice (lucky?) stick catch up too, also a very good right foot, it's not easy with such a big batter head to have the same response as a smaller bass drum, the drums sounds good too... and last but not least, the audience liked it, it's good for the adrenaline :)

Thanks for the YT link, it gave me the chance to listen and watch you play, which is not often enough BTW, you should post more of your playing Kyle :)

Thank you, Henri! It was a very lucky stick catch lol! I don't know what's going on!! I used to be able to play that lick without dropping the stick but here lately I always lose one! The rebound on the head is pretty spongy for sure, but my Speed King has helped that a lot. I will try to post more vids as I go. But only because you want me to :)

Toolate

Platinum Member
Nothing more to add except that I love that beautiful mongrel of kit you play. Classic acrylic tom tones. What heads?

The Scorpio

Nothing more to add except that I love that beautiful mongrel of kit you play. Classic acrylic tom tones. What heads?

Oh thanks! I love my mutt too!!!

The toms are clear emperors up top and stock Ludwig Medium clear one plys on the bottom. Snare's an emperor up top and an Ambassador Snare side on bottom (just got the pure sound blasters and they are sooo worth it haha.) Kick is a coated emp on the batter and a coated ambassador up front with a pillow pressed lightly against both sides.