Bonham Photo....are you serious?

Morbid Koala

BONHAM_3sm350.jpg

Photoshop....Right?

I certainly hope not, that is just waaaaaay to cool.

probably not 'shopped if you think about it. I mean its probable that Bonham used a double bass set up at least once in his career right?

just sayin'

-Jonathan

probably not 'shopped if you think about it. I mean its probable that Bonham used a double bass set up at least once in his career right?

just sayin'

-Jonathan

Oh yeah, I mean I remember he definitely had a go with one. I guess I just wasn't sure how far he gigged with it. I thought he tried one out at a rehearsal and Page quickly laid down the law. The pic looks like a gig but Zeppelin never used a back line though, you know? They always had what they needed gear wise.

Still wish tapes existed of his jam of 'Supernaut' with Black Sabbath.Spectators reported very cool results with Bills double kick.

BONHAM_3sm350.jpg

Photoshop....Right?

Not. When Bonham got the "hook up" with Ludwig, thru Carmine Appice, he ordered a kit just like Carmine was playing with the Vanella Fudge. Which was a double kick Luddy thermogloss kit. And he did gig with the double kick.

just sayin'

-Jonathan

I've read numerous accounts attesting to the fact the he experimented with double bass drums in the early days. Apparently, the rest of the band couldn't hear themselves and they figured that he could do more with one BD than most could with two anyway....so they hid it!!

I think it was a reasonably short lived experiment, but certainly possible this is a legit photo.

Can any Bonzo experts clarify? Great photo too...thanks

There is a video of Communication Break Down showing Bonham playing the double bass kit.
They play it on VH-1 every great once in a while.

Although it's pretty obvious they are just playing along/lip syncing to the record.

Another thing you don't see often - twin kicks with a lone mounted tom perched between them.

Carmine Appice.
Tommy Alridge
The original drummer from Foriegner.
and a few others have used that set up at one point in their careers.

But I suppose that still qualifies as "not too often".

The Biograply Channels Zepplin video was on last night and there was a quick shot of Bonham behind a double bass kit. He looked like he was about 18.

The Zep DVD has that promo of Communication Breakdown showing the Luddie Maple Double Bass set that Carmine introduced him to. Jimmy Page ended up with the "other bass drum" from that set, btw.

The chronology of his drum sets is pretty easy to follow, and pretty well documented (Traps Magazine did a comprehensive study a few years back).

I challenge anybody to try to start one on his cymbals, however. For instance, did he ever play Zildjians as some claim, and what albums did the Giant Beats span?

I challenge anybody to try to start one on his cymbals, however. For instance, did he ever play Zildjians as some claim, and what albums did the Giant Beats span?

I've never heard the claim Bonham played Zildjian, but considering the Giant Beats didn't come out until 1967, it's possible he played Zildjian before Zepplin, or maybe even in the early days before he hooked up with Paiste.

The 2002's came out in 1971, so I'd assume the Giant Beats were used on the 1st four albums, as they were all recorded before the 2002's came out.

The other problem with cymbals and any drummer from pre-1980's is cymbals were not labeled the way they are today, and at the time many (most?) cymbals didn't even have logos on them.

I've never heard the claim Bonham played Zildjian, but considering the Giant Beats didn't come out until 1967, it's possible he played Zildjian before Zepplin, or maybe even in the early days before he hooked up with Paiste.

The 2002's came out in 1971, so I'd assume the Giant Beats were used on the 1st four albums, as they were all recorded before the 2002's came out.

The other problem with cymbals and any drummer from pre-1980's is cymbals were not labeled the way they are today, and at the time many (most?) cymbals didn't even have logos on them.

There was some discussion over at Cymbalholics that in the Denmark Show, he might have been using Avedis Zildjians, or Paiste 602s. The front page of this magazine has a good B&W profile shot of his ride and main crash. The bells are not squat and squared looking, like the vintage Giant Beats:

http://www.drummagazine.com/images/bonham/bonham-traps07.pdf

There was some discussion over at Cymbalholics that in the Denmark Show, he might have been using Avedis Zildjians, or Paiste 602s. The front page of this magazine has a good B&W profile shot of his ride and main crash. The bells are not squat and squared looking, like the vintage Giant Beats:

http://www.drummagazine.com/images/bonham/bonham-traps07.pdf

Keep in mind, when bands toured in the late 60s (and it even happens today) they use rental gear. Keith Moon was often shown playing Ludwig and Slingerland even though he had a deal with Premier, because The Who did a lot of fly in shows, where they would fly without their back line, and use whatever rental gear was provided. So it's not out of the question Bonham used Zildjian at times when he didn't have his own gear, as Zildjian had much better distribution than Paiste in the 60's.

But I have no doubt Bonham used Formula 602's at times as well.

So many drummers today change their cymbals around depending on the song, the band, or the situation, so I wouldn't be surprised if he traveled with a bag full of various Paiste's, and switched between 602's, Giant Beats, and 2002's as it suited his mood.

Another thing you don't see often - twin kicks with a lone mounted tom perched between them.

Louie Bellson, for oh about the last 40 years or so ...

Back