Bonham amber vistalite purchase/questions

Tedg65

Ok, so I bought these babies on Ebay over the wknd.....drove down to NY from MA and the guy threw in an extra 22" Paiste crash at no extra charge...great deal!!
My question concerns tuning.....the toms and snare all sound perfect and exact to live recorded Bonham...but the bass is is a bit too hollow...can anyone make suggestions on tuning/ muffling this monster without ruining the sound?

Also, Speed King pedal has a stripped nut......any leads on purchasing a replacement?

Thanks all!!!

Attachments

Stroman

Platinum Member
I'm not sure how you're tuned up now, but basically tune the batter head high enough to get a good tone (it will be higher than you think it should be), then tune the reso up quite a bit higher than the batter (it will be higher than you think it should be). Notice a trend, here? lol

Ideally, the two heads should have pitches that compliment one another for maximum fullness and sweetness of tone.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I have seen Jeff ocheltree's DVD and I think when he was teching for Bonham he had a felt strip on the batter head.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I have seen Jeff ocheltree's DVD and I think when he was teching for Bonham he had a felt strip on the batter head.
True, but he wasn't using a PS3 batter head, either, and that's what this kit has. The underlay on the PS3 should provide as much focus as the felt, IME with 24" kicks.

harryconway

Platinum Member
If the Powerstroke3 isn't working for you, a Pinstripe (batter) would be the next pre-muffled head I'd try. I'm not a big fan of Pins on wood shelled drums, but I use 'em a lot on Vistalite, as batters. Another option, and you may wanna try it on the P3, is run a felt strip. Maybe on the batter. Maybe on the reso. Experiment.​
As far as the Speed King, a drum shop might be able to help you get a replacement part. Barring that, there are plenty of Speed Kings on eBay. A parts pedal might be what you want.​

M

Matt Bo Eder

Didn't Bonham use a regular dot (black or silver) on the batter and a clear rest on the front? Maybe a felt strip on the batter? Maybe not? How about the shredded up newspaper idea inside?

Dave Mattacks said in the Bonham book that the bass drum was like a scaled-down concert bass drum. And concert bass drums don't have muffling. He said you could tap Bonham's bass drum with your finger and it would just ring like crazy, and the pitch was higher than he thought, but when Bonham really 'whumped' on it, you got that sound.

Tedg65

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will certainly experiment with all!

P.S. I do not care for the pinstripe heads on ANY kit!....I feel that they muffle the shell a bit too much...

T.Underhill

Pioneer Member
I've been waiting for those to show up....I fell asleep before bidding at 3am :| Congrats on a fantastic deal!

Personally I use a thin piece of 1/2 or 1 inch foam on the bottom of the kick drum, no other muffling. This doesn't show up too much when looking at the acrylic kit and reduces some of the boom. Get a clip up when you can, looking forward to hearing it in action.

King Tiger

Those things look really nice, a damn good purchase. I can almost hear "Over the hills and far away" playing now. Or maybe that's just all the Capt. Morgan I've been drinking?

Dirtcity

Beautiful! How do you like the rail mount and shell mounted ride holder?

I just got a Bonham kit myself and was thinking of making those same mods.

digibird

On that same bass drum, I use Remo PS3 on both sides with a small piece of Auralex foam (maybe 12-18") at the bottom of the drum touching both heads, and a 3-4" mic hole in the front. A small mic hole won't change your tone on a 26" drum and makes sound guys happy.

I do the typical Bonham tuning on the 14-16-18 toms with the resonant heads tighter than the batters, but on the bass drum I get a better tone with the batter head tighter than the resonant head - try both and see what you like.

Patz

sweet kit. the only other kit i ever care to own someday. i have nothing else to add other than to tell you you've done an awesome thing.

Tedg65

Thanks all....the kit was purchased originally in 2008 at the Long Island Drum Center and came with the original rail mount for the tom the buyer had the bass drum cymbal holder installed, however since I am a lefty I can't use either....I had an old Ludwig snare stand that I use for the 14x10 and mount the ride on a stand as well.
Have to say I'm not a big fan of the Hercules hardware....the high hat stand is flimsy and I have to constantly readjust the top hat underneath to stay tightened....bass drum claws are kind of a pain too and take longer to position than my other Pearl hardware...
Love love love the kit though....the thing is in mint shape...

My wife, a big Zephead herself is not a big fan of the color/acrylic however!

P.S. I think I will try the felt belt on the batter head....always liked the look of that........we'll see...

RickP

Gold Member
Two felt strips on the batter side and one on the resonant side would be my first choice. If you still find the drum too ringy, take out the felt strips and pickup a Remo Dave Weckl adjustable Dave Weckl muffling system. They are really outstanding, far better than the Evans and DW pillows and way less bulky as well.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
True, but he wasn't using a PS3 batter head, either, and that's what this kit has. The underlay on the PS3 should provide as much focus as the felt, IME with 24" kicks.
The head in the pic looks like a black dot controlled sound head not a PS3 or am I missing something here

Felt strip would be the answer from me as well. I use a PS3 batter and reso on my kicks and put a strip of felt about a 1/3 of the way up from the bottom on them and the sound is everything I want in a kick, punchy, good bottom end and low overtones.

makinao

Silver Member
It should sound hollow ever with the PS3, like a marching band bass drum. Felt/cloth strips will make it more Bonham-like. But try the hollow setup for a few days. You might get to like it if you find the right tensions. I had mine set up that way until a Church gig needed strips on both batter and reso heads. Right now I'm using only strips in the batter side.

Stroman

Platinum Member
The head in the pic looks like a black dot controlled sound head not a PS3 or am I missing something here
It's one of the newer PS3s with the black dot - the stripes around the perimeter are the giveaway. The regular black dot (CS) head has no stripe around it.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
It's one of the newer PS3s with the black dot - the stripes around the perimeter are the giveaway. The regular black dot (CS) head has no stripe around it.
Missed the stripes, whoops.

Even with the ps3 I'd still try a felt strip