Bob Gatzen

For sale?

I have a set that I use on my pad right next to my laptop. But...they're mine lol
I get it. Lol. My boyfriend is a drummer and heard him talking about them. Trying to get a pair for him for Christmas. I may have a lead. Fingers crossed.

Ahhhhhh - I missed that detail!!

Happens to the best of us!

The ones you linked to (the hickory sticks) have a groove carved into the middle of them. Apparently, it's to improve the balance of the stick. I wonder how effective it is.

Happens to the best of us!

The ones you linked to (the hickory sticks) have a groove carved into the middle of them. Apparently, it's to improve the balance of the stick. I wonder how effective it is.

They are my go to pad sticks : They are a little on beefy side but really do have a nice balance. I like them for pad work because they are heavy but move like a lighter stick - probably in part due to that little groove.

I don't really like them on actual drums very much - that barrel tip doesn't work with my rides - it makes them wash out quicker than my usual sticks.

Thanks for all the remarks. He bought the Promark ones awhile back but he talks about the maple ones. I found some but they were not in the United States.

Regal Tip had discontinued the Maple BG sticks when Bob Gatzen went with Promark.
The Hickory Bob Gatzen stick was renamed the Billy Martin Signature stick.
It looks like regal Tip may never open back up to the extent they did before their "retooling".

I have been in discussion with Jeff Rich of Rich Custom Drumsticks to reproduce the Hickory Bob Gatzen/Billy Martin signature stick along with a few fellow fans of this stick model. I have had sticks from Jeff before and they are excellent quality.

Some background on Bob Gatzen and his signature model stick. Bob worked extensively in design with the Noble and Cooley Drum Company along with Evans drumheads. He designed the Noble and Cooley drumsticks that came in light, medium and heavy thicknesses , all with the same taper, bead and length. The premise was that a drummer could have a few pair of each in his stick bag for different styles of music and volume levels. They were made by Regal Tip but had a different lacquer finish as well as coloured stain than typical Regal Tip sticks. I have been after Nick Jones of Noble and Cooley to reissue these sticks but with the probable demise of Regal Tip this will not be happening.

I have been in discussion with Jeff Rich of Rich Custom Drumsticks to reproduce the Hickory Bob Gatzen/Billy Martin signature stick along with a few fellow fans of this stick model. I have had sticks from Jeff before and they are excellent quality.

That would be excellent. RT has been out of the Billy Martin (aka Gatzen) model since even before the 'retooling". I would be interested in a few pair as well.

In a sort of related note, if RT does go under, or severely scales back, what are their signature stick artists going to do? Jeff Hamilton, Chester Thompson, Daniel Adair, Ulysses Owens etc. I guess Vic/Vater will be licking their chops to get them on board?

He has a 12 pair minimum

That's what I figured. You said you've been talking with a few fellow fans of this model. Would we each have to order 12 pair, or could we each get a few pair and have the total combined be over the 12 pair minimum?

Example, you get 3 pair, I get 3 pair, Person A gets 5 pair and Person B gets 3 pair. That's 14 pair total, which satisfies the minimum requirement. Would you take the lead in ordering and then we just pay you online?

We are all ordering bricks with our names imprinted on them . You are welcome to talk to Jeff Rich about sticks for yourself. Jeff is printing names in sticks and there is a twelve pair minimum per person .

Last edited:
Back