Bo Rants! - follow up

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So some of you may remember this thread I posted about my trio's bass player just having a meltdown in my home during a rehearsal:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119443

Well, I've given the guitarist a chance to diffuse the situation and just got word today that it has been diffused and we will be moving on. I've been informed that said bass player is very 'passionate' about this project and really wants to get things right, hence his outburst two weeks ago. He has apologized about the situation and vows to keep his temper to himself, everywhere.

I have reserved the right to kick his a$$ myself if he does it again.

We are now back on track for our Wednesday rehearsals again and I will see how he behaves. I'm going to do my best to focus on the positive and keep us moving forward. During our two week break, with school starting up again, the show choirs have started emailing me their calendars for the upcoming year (which actually is already beginning top of October), and free time will be very rare from here on out so we've got to nail down our 20 or so tunes ASAP and start booking gigs for our off-night evenings (probably Wed-Thurs).

Wish us luck!

Hopefully you play some gigs "up north" so I can drive "down south" and see you.

The guitarist is finding some venues in the Huntington Beach area, and I guess northward into Newport - that's where most of the places to play would be, local to him. I'll be honest, if the music ends up being really good (and it's proving that way already), I wouldn't mind playing for free in a coffee shop ;)

Newport Beach is just south of HB. We play a lot at the El Dorado Bar & Grill in Long Beach. They pay OK too.

A lot of people need a second chance, and are often worthy of it. I hope you can work with him and enjoy the music you make.

You're a tough taskmaster Bo, but quite right to be so. The act either works for you, or it doesn't. You get to a certain stage in life where tolerance of such behaviour is pretty slim, but you're right to give him a second chance.

Part of me is advising against this - probably the old "get off my lawn" part of me - but the other part of me didn't become this cool by being a complete a-hole all the time. So I feel like the bigger guy by giving this another chance. I'm not gonna speculate on what could happen, we'll just let it unfold and see where this goes.

Bo, do you have a daughter? You're in "Welcome to my world" territory. Grit your teeth, and pray like mad.

The guitarist is finding some venues in the Huntington Beach area, and I guess northward into Newport - that's where most of the places to play would be, local to him. I'll be honest, if the music ends up being really good (and it's proving that way already), I wouldn't mind playing for free in a coffee shop ;)

I meant North of the Orange curtain.

I'm close to the Ventura county line.

Bo, do you have a daughter? You're in "Welcome to my world" territory. Grit your teeth, and pray like mad.

Mag,having raised a few of my own over the years,I sympathise with your sentiments.Children,can be .....somewhat dramitic at times.Some adults,however,are just older children,and haven't learned to govern their passions,and somehow feel the only way,is their way,and will melt down at the slightest provocation.

Bo,I hope this all works out, but leopards can't change their spots,they can just cover them up.Everyone,with some exceptions,deserves a second chance,but just remember,fool me once ,shame on you,fool me twice,shame on me.Best of luck..

Steve B

Mag,having raised a few of my own over the years,I sympathise with your sentiments.Children,can be .....somewhat dramitic at times.Some adults,however,are just older children,and haven't learned to govern their passions,and somehow feel the only way,is their way,and will melt down at the slightest provocation.

Bo,I hope this all works out, but leopards can't change their spots,they can just cover them up.Everyone,with some exceptions,deserves a second chance,but just remember,fool me once ,shame on you,fool me twice,shame on me.Best of luck..

Steve B

Don't think that hasn't crossed my mind ;). We will roll forward. Like I said, if it happens again, I'm calling it and firing him.

And no Madge, we don't have children. And I'm not about to now.

Back