Blues Jams - My Favorite Reason

yammyfan

You get to play real music on someone else's drums and demo that kit and cymbals. Recently I fell in love with some drums that I played at a 'jam and bought into that brand / model. Ya just never know.....
I enjoy blues jams for the same reason. I got to try a 1960's Gretsch kit the last time I went out. I'm glad to say that I had that experience though I still prefer my modern Gretsch kit.

I like that blues tempos and chord progressions are as predictable as they are. It makes it easy to slide right in with the other players on stage. Crowds seem to love it too.

You may have mentioned so elsewhere Joe but what did you end up buying?

JoeVermont

I enjoy blues jams for the same reason. I got to try a 1960's Gretsch kit the last time I went out. I'm glad to say that I had that experience though I still prefer my modern Gretsch kit.

I like that blues tempos and chord progressions are as predictable as they are. It makes it easy to slide right in with the other players on stage. Crowds seem to love it too.

You may have mentioned so elsewhere Joe but what did you end up buying?
The kit at the 'jam was PDP Concept Maple (wrapped satin gray finish). I ended up with the wood hooped "Classic" version. There was a barely-used set on FB for a very good deal. I still have two sets of Stage Custom Birch's but will be thinning down that herd, soon.

1 hit wonder

I learn something almost everytime attending jams. Last night at my own gig I learned something new. Then watching a Tedeski-Trucks video of Angel From Montgomery-Sugaree I picked up a nice little fill.

None of this would've happened without Blues Jams.

Drummy74

I went to a local blues jam some years back and the drummer, who shall remain nameless, only brought a bass drum, a snare drum, and a hi hat.
Guess he was too busy to bring in the rest of the set? Really made for some interesting jamming, to say the least...

I am the house drummer for a blues jam. I provide a 3 piece Yamaha Recording Custom kit, a Ludwig Supralite snare, Zildjian K cymbals, a DW 9000 bass drum pedal, and a DW airlift throne with backrest. All the drums are tuned with a tunebot before the jam. I feel as though I am offering real good equipment to the drummers who attend, and they must agree, because they have kept coming back for 11 years!

1 hit wonder

I went to a local blues jam some years back and the drummer, who shall remain nameless, only brought a bass drum, a snare drum, and a hi hat.
Guess he was too busy to bring in the rest of the set? Really made for some interesting jamming, to say the least...

I've heard a similar story and the same person is said to have brought a toy drumset to a jam.

JimmyM

Platinum Member
The local jam by me has a set with Tama Rockstar power toms and a surprisingly nice aluminum Slingerland snare from the 70s.

opentune

Platinum Member
I'd say he brought 85% of what was needed for the gig. The only thing I'd be critical of was no ride cymbal.

JoeVermont

That's pretty extreme - at least ONE cymbal, please? Recently I did a gig with snare, kick, one up / one down, hats, and one cymbal (a "Crash-ride"). I thought I was doing well, then I remembered J.J. Grey and Mofro's Anthony Cole.... ;)
1667777484874.png

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Some of the musicians at my local blues jam are seriously good.

JoeVermont

Went to a blues jam last night. I found myself on stage with a guy on a cajon (ya, seriously?) who was rushing and a bass player who was dragging. It became my mission to declare where the "1" was every measure. It was not fun - sometimes these things do happen, though.

1 hit wonder

Our 'jams' start to feel like seeing a cover band.
Do the same people play the exact same songs at your Blues jams? They do here. They're good at them and they're crowd pleasers usually, so I understand it. But I notice that everybody responds well when a new person shows up with fresh material.

Last edited:

jaymandude

S
Do the same people play the exact same songs at your Blues jams? They do here. They're good at them and they're crowd pleasers usually, so I understand it. But I notice that everybody responds well when a new person shows up with fresh material.
so much this

Drummy74

Yeah man, same here. Guys will bring their band and do the songs they rehearsed. No jamming. Of course there are a few of us old timers who will do a few Blues standards, and the house band usually does the same set every week to open the jam. Seldom see much actual jamming and much less Blues. Also, a few of the young hipsters who play together will come in and do a set they have rehearsed. Not sure why they let them take up the last hour of the jam.

Drummy74

When I lived in Dayton, Ohio there were amazing jams that were actually jam sessions. Got to play Blues with some fine old cats who showed this drummer how to do it right. Snapper Mitchum, Piney Brown, (my favorite), Phil Guy, (Buddy's brother), Van Shaw and others would be there almost every time and you could learn a lot watching and listening to them.
The jam was a place to network and find bands if you were looking. T make friends with other musicians and help each other.
Not so down here in North alabama where the jams are just guys playing a few songs they learned and NO ONE is networking. Every man (and woman) for himself down here.

1 hit wonder

Yeah man, same here. Guys will bring their band and do the songs they rehearsed. No jamming. Of course there are a few of us old timers who will do a few Blues standards, and the house band usually does the same set every week to open the jam. Seldom see much actual jamming and much less Blues. Also, a few of the young hipsters who play together will come in and do a set they have rehearsed. Not sure why they let them take up the last hour of the jam.
I'm a weak guitarist so I do the same 5 or so songs around the house. They aren't jam worthy and I know it.

We get some rotation of jam hosting musicians here. They'll do a fair amount of Blues and some of the signups do a goodly amount of Blues stuff too. It's just that some of them do the same 3-5 songs and never deviate. They're really pretty good musicians, so why not stretch it out a little?

Bands even do the same songs as other bands. There's probably 4-5 bands doing Anyway You Want It every weekend here.

If you're playing at jams it's way better than just seeing the repeated songs, of course. And you get to get comfortable with the song, singer, players when it's the same stuff you've seen them do before playing it with them.

It just begins to feel like seeing the same cover band doing the same stuff. They know it too, so they'll do a familiar song in a new way. That's cool.