Blues Groovin'

Nice solid playing indeed.
Sounding good Eric! nice gig setting & vibe too. Bass player's quite a busy chap ;)

Thanks to both of you!

Haha he is indeed! We've multiple times auditioned a fifth player but we're all so busy that there's absolutely no sonic square footage left to occupy. I keep it pretty simple, four on the floor on this tune but there are times when I chops-out with the rest of them too :)

Nice Eric. For some reason, my experience is that this song has a big potential to run away tempo wise. The trouble spot for accelerating is the bass walk up right before.... and including.... the part where they lyric goes, "If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all". It's real easy to get sucked in as a lot of times the guitar players don't give their notes their full value, like they are in a hurry to play the next note. But as far as I could tell, you guys kept it at a fairly even speed up till the end. I liked how you kept the groove steady, that's what this song needs, groove from the front porch to the back yard. And what embellishments you did were well chosen both in what you decided to play, you complimented what the guitar played, like you were actually listening lol, and I thought you picked a great place to play them.

You really do bear a resemblance to Stewart Copeland. Looks wise lol.

I dug your playing, how did you guys record that? The vocals seemed a bit distorted. Your lead guitarist was on, but the bass player was a bit too busy, I have the same problem with the guy in my band, he thinks he's a lead guitarist. Overall, I really enjoyed the song.

Larryace, thanks for the detailed insight and the compliments! Ever since I stepped back to re-examine my timekeeping I feel like my chops have suffered slightly, but I'm doing my best to climb the hill, so to speak. Maybe I could start telling people I'm related to Stew... hehe

I dug your playing, how did you guys record that? The vocals seemed a bit distorted. Your lead guitarist was on, but the bass player was a bit too busy, I have the same problem with the guy in my band, he thinks he's a lead guitarist. Overall, I really enjoyed the song.

Glad you liked it. Our guitarists' dad (father of the birthday girl as well) recorded it with the mic on his camcorder, a mid-range Canon over-the-shoulder recording to Hi8 tape (I think). Yes, it is saturated to hell and back, but that's the nature of home video. Overall I think it still sounds alright given the circumstances.

The bass player is busy, yes, but we (and the audiences we play for) usually love it. This was actually recorded when no one had yet arrived, but we were fairly well received that night.

I like your time feel on Tightrope Eric. I mean I really like it. Great tempo, at the exact right speed and feel, not rushed, not lagged. You get it. I like the way you feel and execute your fills/embellishments too. Killer song Tightrope, great choice. Time feel is King in Blues. Heck IMO, time feel is King in all music.

I like your time feel on Tightrope Eric. I mean I really like it. Great tempo, at the exact right speed and feel, not rushed, not lagged. You get it. I like the way you feel and execute your fills/embellishments too. Killer song Tightrope, great choice. Time feel is King in Blues. Heck IMO, time feel is King in all music.

That kind of a compliment really means a lot coming from the likes of Uncle Larry! :p

It's amazing how much simply thinking about timing and groove differently helped me improve. Rather than take the time for granted, I sacrifice everything to it now, and all of us have gotten way groovier. The group I play with aren't slouches, though. I usually don't have to fight them to keep the quarter notes in the right place!

Thanks again :)

Great playing and very smooth. What crash is that btw?

Thanks! It's a Bosphorus 20" Master Vintage, which I purchased before the Cymbal Masters fiasco. I don't know if they're still around but it shouldn't be too hard to find something similar

Thanks! It's a Bosphorus 20" Master Vintage, which I purchased before the Cymbal Masters fiasco. I don't know if they're still around but it shouldn't be too hard to find something similar

It really sounds nice. I like the sound a lot and it sounds like you could do a lot with it. I need to get a new crash, but I don't know if that is in the price range. I like it though, I may try to find something that sounds pretty similar.

It really sounds nice. I like the sound a lot and it sounds like you could do a lot with it. I need to get a new crash, but I don't know if that is in the price range. I like it though, I may try to find something that sounds pretty similar.

Meinl's Extra Dry series crashes in that size are about a hundred dollars cheaper and are great cymbals. Have you looked at those?

Yeah, really nice groovy drumming. I have to agree with the comment about the bass player being too busy. It hurts the overall groove of the song a bit.

Back