Blast beat continuous vs. single measure vs. isolating parts

aaronmcd

Hey, I'm pretty new to drumming (6 or 7 months), but working on blasts for their all around good fast coordination skills plus I like metal here and there so I'll prob get to the point where I want to use them.

I've increased speed at control a lot recently, but I've noticed a few things:

1) The speed I can maintain for a few minutes is ridiculously slower than the speed I can maintain control for 1 measure (4/4). Like if I wanna keep going without losing time or getting sloppy snare hits, I'm down near 120-130 bpm. But I can get up to 160-170 for a measure or 2 in control and drop back into an easy beat. But when I try to keep it up, I don't get tired, I just slowly loose the ability to keep the snare distinctly separate from the kick&cymbal.

2) I can do the blast faster than either of the alternating pairs (kick/snare, ride/snare). I especially lose it trying to alternate kick/snare without the right hand on a cymbal to keep my left hand in check. When I try and do alternating kick/snare fast, my snare hand wants to drift and line up with the kick. I also notice if I keep a nice loose and loud snare hand it's harder to keep the 16th timing, but if I play a more forceful but quiet snare hit I can keep the alternating beat faster/longer.

3) I can often go faster longer if I hit a crash or edge of a cymbal or in general change it up to the beat every 2 or 4 beats. Like I force a micro-reset and it helps keep my snare hand from lining up.

Is it normal for the snare hand to keep trying to line up with the kick? Is there any of this that seems wrong to you (as a more experienced player)? Is it normal to top out 40+ bpm over a sustainable beat?

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Hey, I'm pretty new to drumming (6 or 7 months), but working on blasts for their all around good fast coordination skills plus I like metal here and there so I'll prob get to the point where I want to use them.

I've increased speed at control a lot recently, but I've noticed a few things:

1) The speed I can maintain for a few minutes is ridiculously slower than the speed I can maintain control for 1 measure (4/4). Like if I wanna keep going without losing time or getting sloppy snare hits, I'm down near 120-130 bpm. But I can get up to 160-170 for a measure or 2 in control and drop back into an easy beat. But when I try to keep it up, I don't get tired, I just slowly loose the ability to keep the snare distinctly separate from the kick&cymbal.

2) I can do the blast faster than either of the alternating pairs (kick/snare, ride/snare). I especially lose it trying to alternate kick/snare without the right hand on a cymbal to keep my left hand in check. When I try and do alternating kick/snare fast, my snare hand wants to drift and line up with the kick. I also notice if I keep a nice loose and loud snare hand it's harder to keep the 16th timing, but if I play a more forceful but quiet snare hit I can keep the alternating beat faster/longer.

3) I can often go faster longer if I hit a crash or edge of a cymbal or in general change it up to the beat every 2 or 4 beats. Like I force a micro-reset and it helps keep my snare hand from lining up.

Is it normal for the snare hand to keep trying to line up with the kick? Is there any of this that seems wrong to you (as a more experienced player)? Is it normal to top out 40+ bpm over a sustainable beat?
To start, 7 months is nothing in drumming. Drumming takes years to get "good".. Double bass and blasts are not something I'd recommend to a beginner. You do not have the muscle memory yet, and if you push too fast too early you are probibly forcing it and causing bad habits.

Make sure your pinky fingers are on the sticks, make sure you practice clean.

1) Totally normal.. I could blast 180 for 10 minutes... I can get to about 220 for 30-40 seconds... 240 is a few bars probibly.

- When practicing don't worry about a few bars... you are not bulding muscle memory.. Make sure you are playing clean and for a long time... It might be 100.. That is ok.. Once you can do it for 5-10 minutes, slowly increase it. You will get much faster in less time this way. I'll hit a practice pad at 170 and it really helps me play at the fast tempos by building endurance and muscle memory.

2) basic independence. 7 months it won't be there.. work on rudiments, independence exercises, keeping time on the left foot while doing everything. once again. this takes years.

3) Totally normal.. Lots of guys will do a fill every 2 bars to mask this stuff. Practice is the only way to fix this... As I said in one, slooooowwwww down. if you do it at 50 BPM I bet you can do it for a long period, so your just playing too fast too early.

Here is a video On blasts I made a bit ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRZDAygmA8I

Here is a pretty old handspeed one I should update as my technique could be way better in it, but I go over a few things I worked on that helped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-anA7UCJRNY