Blasphemy! - Pic Heavy

longgun

Gold Member
Hey guys.

I've committed drum blasphemy.

After several complaints from my better half, neighbors, etc..................I decided to jump to the dark side.

Due to my schedule, I normally can't practice until after 8 o'clock...............and I was making too much noise for the family..............kids had to sleep, wife would be annoyed, and on and on

I didn't want to go completely electronic, because I hate the way E-kits and cymbals "feel".

So, I bought a set of Zildjian Gen16 cymbals along with a set of Pearl E-pro heads and a Yamaha DTX502 module.

Now I can practice at anytime and no one is bothered.

Years ago, I did an acoustic to electronic conversion, but these heads have a much better feel, and are easier to transition back to real heads, than the mesh heads I previously used.

My other kit is still acoustic and set up at church, but this is my new practice kit.

Here are a few pics:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I am looking for a cheap kit to use, instead of my DW's...................it just seems soooo wrong.

Not blasphemous, but does seem too bad to "mute" a top flight kit. However with wife and kids it's understandable. My wife gets annoyed just hearing my REMO practice pad !!

Not blasphemous, but does seem too bad to "mute" a top flight kit. However with wife and kids it's understandable. My wife gets annoyed just hearing my REMO practice pad !!

Thanks John....................looking at a cheap Sonor kit next week............hopefully I can get it for a decent trade/price.

"Jumping to the dark side" would be ditching the drums and picking up bass, or worse, guitar ;)

You're just being considerate.

If you've got the bucks, that's the way to do it.

How effective is that bass pad trigger at cutting down the noise?

That's funny. Blasphemy was my exact word when someone first suggested E drums. Now I'm a convert.

I converted my A kit about a year ago

If you've got the bucks, that's the way to do it.

How effective is that bass pad trigger at cutting down the noise?

It works well........not any louder than a typical "pad"......the gen16 cymbals are a little louder than it acoustically

That's funny. Blasphemy was my exact word when someone first suggested E drums. Now I'm a convert.

I converted my A kit about a year ago

Good stuff.....opens up a lot of possibilities.

Hey if it had to be done, it had to be done. Domestic balance is always important, and you're still playing a real kit on a gig, so it's not the only thing you're playing.

I am, more and more, becoming the guy in that joke where I'm "complaining about the neighbor knocking on my door at 3AM - good thing I was up playing the drums!".

Hey if it had to be done, it had to be done. Domestic balance is always important, and you're still playing a real kit on a gig, so it's not the only thing you're playing.

I am, more and more, becoming the guy in that joke where I'm "complaining about the neighbor knocking on my door at 3AM - good thing I was up playing the drums!".

Me too........I have some older neighbors who called the police a couple of times.......that, along with the wife and kids, I needed to compromise.

It's not bad for practice, as all of the sizes and spacing are correct.......same as my acoustic kit. Not ideal, but it works.

Good choice. I think the epro heads are the best feeling. Not sure about the module but honestly that wouldnt bother me, I could practice with it switched off altogether.

Good choice. I think the epro heads are the best feeling. Not sure about the module but honestly that wouldnt bother me, I could practice with it switched off altogether.

Thanks.............it was the most reasonable, "decent" module I could find.

I'm just using this strictly for practice at home.........so I didn't need it to be top of the line............picked it up for around 100 bucks........for what it does, I can't complain

I'm in your same situation. For the past several years I've used one of those Rock Band game e-kits that doesn't work. I got it free on CL and it's completely adjustable. That with a gibraltar bass drum practice pad and it's not too shabby of a practice setup. I use it when I can't play on my real kit.

However, I'm currently on the lookout for a beater kit that I can outfit with those Remo Silenstroke heads. Check them out. They look and mostly feel like real heads but with 90% volume reduction. That with your Gen16 cymbals would make a good alternative.

The Gen 16's aren't too loud?

I demo'd them at a Guitar Center to determine if they might be something to acquire, but dayum if they weren't loud.

I'm in your same situation. For the past several years I've used one of those Rock Band game e-kits that doesn't work. I got it free on CL and it's completely adjustable. That with a gibraltar bass drum practice pad and it's not too shabby of a practice setup. I use it when I can't play on my real kit.

However, I'm currently on the lookout for a beater kit that I can outfit with those Remo Silenstroke heads. Check them out. They look and mostly feel like real heads but with 90% volume reduction. That with your Gen16 cymbals would make a good alternative.

I'm in a similar boat to many of you. New baby, easily irritated wife, no $$$ to build a dedicated soundproofed area.

My "solution" was to use the DW practice pad kit which is supplemented by the Sabian Quiet Tone snare. I use some tea towels and/or Vic Firth mute pads to adjust the rebound as needed on the toms as the sticks rebound around like ping pong balls. For the kick I use some moleskin and an athletic sock to similarly dampen rebound and sound.

The sound is obviously terrible and the appearance of this "kit" is pretty awful, but its either that or not play at all. For what it's worth, I hit a real kit every week or two and I have found that my work has translated over so it's not like its wasted time.

I am scoping out putting my stuff in a rental space, but with prices easily over $500/month, it's not a cheap option.

Back