Black Suede or EC2 on Saturn

bradmapex

Hi, I'm between remo blacksuedes, and Evans EC2's o my Mapex Saturn toms. Im looking for a nice fat, low, dark sound. I don't want much sustain, but i still want it present. Which head do you think will accomplish this better? Thanks

Meh, if you have to choose one then go with the clear EC2.... the Saturns came default with Remo Clear Emperors... that would be the closest match.

I now run Evans Coated G1 or G2s on my Saturns (built in 2009). Check out 'Cardiffgiant79' on Youtube... that's my handle and look at my videos where I have coated heads on my Saturns. Real nice deep tone, especially on the floor toms.

I have never ran EC2s on mine so sorry I can't give you a more direct answer to what they'd sound like.

I've tried both, but honestly... EC2s sound very dead (ie: short) and Black Suedes have this interesting mix of bright attack and low sustain... These are on Saturns, by the way.

Meh, if you have to choose one then go with the clear EC2.... the Saturns came default with Remo Clear Emperors... that would be the closest match.

I now run Evans Coated G1 or G2s on my Saturns (built in 2009). Check out 'Cardiffgiant79' on Youtube... that's my handle and look at my videos where I have coated heads on my Saturns. Real nice deep tone, especially on the floor toms.

I have never ran EC2s on mine so sorry I can't give you a more direct answer to what they'd sound like.

Ya i already have Coated G2's on em, but the sound is too round for my liking, unless i tune them way down, thats why 'm looking to try somthing else, thanks for the help though.

I have been thinking black suede emps for my birch shell stealth kit..

I guess I just gotta go get some to find out if I like them or not..

Anyone know how durable the black coating is on the Remos?? I have had issues with the white coating flaking off on Remos..

Anyone know how durable the black coating is on the Remos?? I have had issues with the white coating flaking off on Remos..

i've had my black suedes for about a month and a half only, but i hit pretty hard sometimes, i havnt had a problem with any of my heads, they tune really nicely and are deep. i sometimes have a problem with how deep my 14x12 floor tom gets. i'm yet to get a ps3 for my kick but i'll get one soon. i really like these heads, but i cant recommend anything yet as i've not tried anything else

The suede heads are not coated. The color is in the mylar

Hey man, I work in a drum store and I've set up numerous Saturn kits. If you're gonna limit yourself those two heads, I'd go with the EC2 SST Clears. When you tune them right they have such a studio sound to them its really a great tone. I used black suede emperors on my kit at home Tama Starclassic birch. Good sound, low tone, but a little dry.

Honestly, you should really try out Evans Onyx drumheads. Black coating, but not like the suede. It feels like an actual coated head. The sound is just a low, fat, resonating tone. I've seen them on Tama Imperialstar and they sound amazing. I've seen them on Mapex Meridian Maple and they sound huge. They're just a great overall drumhead. Good luck deciding!

I have Evans Coated g2's on my Saturn and I agree with whoever said it is a little to dead sounding.. I popped over to the Mapex forums and most Saturn owners seem to agree that Satin 1-ply aquarians sound the best on Saturns.

Some said the aquarian response 2's also but I am not sure a 2-ply head sounds good with the maple/walnut..

Thinking of trying the satin tc's..

my vote goes to remo blacksuedes, and if you want an even more darker sound , put textured resonant heads, you won't believe how much the resonnt head can change the sound of a drum.
as a general rule, when you can decide between heads , get one of each for a tom, try them ,decide with you like most and then buy the heads for the rest of the kit. this will save you money , disappointements , and you would be able to hear the heads in your actual kit before spending money

Back