Black or White Bass Reso Head? (Need Opinions)

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I've been trying to figure out if I want to roll with a white or black reso head on my kit. The set is a DW Performance Series, the color is called Sapphire Granite Night Sky... it is kind of a mix of blue and granite sparkle on black. I took a picture of the set with the stock black and with a white reso.

Attachments

• blackreso.JPG
    blackreso.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 314
  • Whitereso.JPG
    Whitereso.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 307
  • SapphireGraniteNightSky.JPG
    SapphireGraniteNightSky.JPG
    433 KB · Views: 310
Clear.

Seriously... I always liked a clear reso. Get to see the drummer's footwork more. But in this case I prefer the black. Something about the white + the natural hoops + the dark finish looks a bit weird.

Last edited:
Those drums look gorgeous. The black reso really looks complimentary to me.

I'm thinking black on that set. Absolutely gorgeous by the way!

Thanks, the colors are just crazy on these and pictures don't do it justice. When I ordered the kit my initial thought was to go white, but think I agree that the black seems to work better.

Clear.

Seriously... I always liked a clear reso. Get to see the drummer's footwork more. But in this case I prefer the black. Something about the white + the natural hoops + the dark finish looks a bit weird.
Yeah I was thinking there was something that just seemed off, you might be right about the natural hoop + dark finish + white head thing.

I like the white. I see a lot of black heads these days. Much like chrome hardware, I think I get a little tired of the black. The white to me, gives it a "vintage" type, look. But the black looks great.

I like a white head on a dark kit. I like a black head on a light kit.i dig the contrast.

For this kit though I vote black also. The finish is in between dark and light, so they both look cool. But I think the black looks better.

I like the black, but a blue head might look really nice.

https://remo.com/products/product/emperor-colortone-blue/

BE-0314-CT-BU.png.600x600_q90_crop-scale.png

I vote for the Remo Starfire. It's chrome.

It goes so well sparkle finishes, it's almost as if they were designed for sparkle finishes.

Black or white is kind of common.

It goes so well sparkle finishes, it's almost as if they were designed for sparkle finishes.

I did consider chrome, I wasn't sure if that would be a bit much or not though.

I vote for the black head.

Currently I'm into white. Your taste will fluctuate. Whatever fits your mood if you own both. Go with white but get a a DW white logo or Classic logo head IMO. They just look sexy.

Uncle Larry beat me to it - Chrome(mirrored)would look amazing on that kit!

I did consider chrome, I wasn't sure if that would be a bit much or not though.

I don't like over the top either. Chrome is so classy looking. Nothing comes close IMO. I had a Sonor Players kit, similar color as yours and the chrome head KILLED on it. Not only that, it absolutely mesmerizes people. If you look at it while someone is playing it, the mirror reflection distorts with impact, and it does look cool as hell. I catch people staring at it.

Another benefit, if you set up your kit on grass...it looks like you have grass growing inside your drum ha ha.

I will go out on a limb and predict that if you get one, you'll be hooked for life. I am.

Another thing I absolutely love about the Starfire is it's sound. I love the tone, much more than any other reso head on the market. It's very crisp. Plus it has zero muffling rings, pinholes...it's just a sheet of chromed mylar. You'd have to port it yourself, if you like that. Chrome tom resos would look cool too.

Am I convincing you :)

Black looks better I think. This finish is stunning.
It's a pity that the hoops are wood colour though ; It'd have looked even better with fully painted BD hoops.

I don't like over the top either. Chrome is so classy looking. Nothing comes close IMO. I had a Sonor Players kit, similar color as yours and the chrome head KILLED on it. Not only that, it absolutely mesmerizes people. If you look at it while someone is playing it, the mirror reflection distorts with impact, and it does look cool as hell. I catch people staring at it.

Another benefit, if you set up your kit on grass...it looks like you have grass growing inside your drum ha ha.

I will go out on a limb and predict that if you get one, you'll be hooked for life. I am.

Another thing I absolutely love about the Starfire is it's sound. I love the tone, much more than any other reso head on the market. It's very crisp. Plus it has zero muffling rings, pinholes...it's just a sheet of chromed mylar. You'd have to port it yourself, if you like that. Chrome tom resos would look cool too.

Am I convincing you :)

Well I put in an order for a DW Chrome head, so we will see when it comes in.

Attachments

• dwstarfire.jpg
    dwstarfire.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 223
Well I put in an order for a DW Chrome head, so we will see when it comes in.

Oh cool, I wasn't aware of the fact that DW made chromed heads.

Nice choice :)

BTW, what is that thing on your floor tom shell? Front and center below the lug.

Also, is it me or are the top lugs on your rack tom bigger than the bottom lugs?

I think it's me.

Back