Black Friday and holiday sales

FritzDrummer

Thought I'd start a thread with places that generally have good specials on Black Friday and through Christmas. I know interstatemusic.com usually does a 20% flash sale on Black Friday as long as your order is over $249. I have found they have a discount on Zildjian A Custom cymbals! I looked at the 18" A Custom Crash, $224 at interstate while musicians friend has it for $270.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
MusiciansFriend is doing a Veterans Day sale now with 15% off over 249.00
And how much of the sale value goes to the veterans? If it's zero, I'm calling disgraceful. I'm happy to stand corrected on this, but I see no statement of veterans benefit in their advertising.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
'Black Friday' really pisses me off. I understand it in the US but it's been accosted by retailers over here too - I don't understand why we would think to celebrate a distinctly American holiday by seemingly allowing shoppers to climb over each other in some of the most disgraceful displays of greed I have seen.

Oh wait. Unrelenting pursuit of profits.

I will be boycotting any major store that does a 'Black Friday' over here in the UK after the event for a period of a month.

I'm not wearing a poppy this year, either. And it's been a century since a lady that became the guardian of my great-grandmother was executed as a result of the insanity of war.

FritzDrummer

'Black Friday' really pisses me off. I understand it in the US but it's been accosted by retailers over here too - I don't understand why we would think to celebrate a distinctly American holiday by seemingly allowing shoppers to climb over each other in some of the most disgraceful displays of greed I have seen.

I will be boycotting any major store that does a 'Black Friday' over here in the UK after the event for a period of a month.

I'm not wearing a poppy this year, either. And it's been a century since a lady that became the guardian of my great-grandmother was executed as a result of the insanity of war.
I know and understand where you are coming from! I promise you not all stores are as dangerous as the extreme cases that unfortunately make it to the news. I am just trying to help out anyone trying to save some money on gear this holiday season! Sorry for the loss Bacterium!

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
No, it's fine Fritz. Sorry, the thread caught me in a moment of irritation with something else!

As long as everybody behaves, I'm cool with that. I just think that shops doing 'Black Friday' over in the UK are incredibly greedy for doing so. It stinks of corporate management.

The 'poppy' remark was aimed at UK users. Let me make it clear - I have no issue with other people wearing it - I have a particular reason to wear it but I won't. Not this year. The lady in question was a famous nurse and the reason she became a legal guardian was because of my great-grandmother's age but I'd be de-railing if I went into it now.

Anyhow. Find some good deals. Just make sure they're in the US and not over here...!

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
And how much of the sale value goes to the veterans? If it's zero, I'm calling disgraceful. I'm happy to stand corrected on this, but I see no statement of veterans benefit in their advertising.
Zero dollars go to veterans. Here in the US we use any "holiday" as a reason to promote consumerism.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Zero dollars go to veterans. Here in the US we use any "holiday" as a reason to promote consumerism.
Ain't capitalism grand. I don't think there's a day out of the year that a 'sale' isn't going on.

Consume or perish.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member

There are people who have been trampled to death because of the Black Friday sales. Once they open the store to the mob outside, it's like all out mayhem to reach the "doorbuster" sales first.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
The only sale value going to the Vet is the money it may save me, the Vet when buying. Great point and an email to them requesting something for The Wounded Warrior Project. More to come.

"I represent a drumming forum with over 120,000 members and many of them Vets. We would like to know what percentage of your Veterans Day sales are going to help Vets, like the Wounded Warrior Project or the Pat Tillman Foundation. How about helping out rather than just take advantage of the day? Thank you.."

I will post their response.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I refuse to participate in the barbaric act that is Black Friday.
Poor lost souls. Worshipping the almighty dollar.
How poor they really are inside is my impression.

Once, as a favor, I volunteered to wait in line for some stupid limited edition Harley Davidson Barbie doll as a favor to my sister in law on BF. It was for my awesome niece.

The line went down every aisle, spilling into the streets, down the highway, to the turnpike, and all the way up to the Poconos. I exaggerate. But never again.

I did my good deed.

Some women in my family do their Christmas shopping in August, so they can enjoy the real goodness of the holidays, family and friends.

Smoke

Silver Member
Lots of free and discounted food for vets. You can google up the names and locations. Many businesses, restaurants and hotels give a 10% military discount. I ask on every purchase over $50 USD.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
The only sale value going to the Vet is the money it may save me, the Vet when buying. Great point and an email to them requesting something for The Wounded Warrior Project. More to come.

"I represent a drumming forum with over 120,000 members and many of them Vets. We would like to know what percentage of your Veterans Day sales are going to help Vets, like the Wounded Warrior Project or the Pat Tillman Foundation. How about helping out rather than just take advantage of the day? Thank you.."

I will post their response.
Excellent! Hopefully something will come of that :)

I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.
Possibly one of the best quotes I've read in the last 3 minutes ;)

Brian

Gold Member
Lots of free and discounted food for vets. You can google up the names and locations. Many businesses, restaurants and hotels give a 10% military discount. I ask on every purchase over $50 USD.
Yes, and plenty of non-vets posing as vets also receive those same discounts and perks. Greed is everywhere, aaaahhh. :D