Black coated reso heads

Treverer

Hi there

I was looking for coated single-ply heads as my tom resos and the only black ones I could find were Remo Ambassador Suede. Evans has of course coated G1s, but not in black.

Question: Are the Suedes really coated? Or is it some totally different technique and if so, does it come close to a coated head sound wise?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
The Ambassador® Suede® drumheads feature Remo's proprietary texturing process that produces warm, open resonant tones for Toms and Snare drums. Constructed with 10-mil textured Suede® film, Ambassador® Suede® drumheads produce a cross between the brightness and resonance of Clear and the warmth of Coated drumheads. Available in sizes 6" - 18".
SPECS
  • Ideal for Toms and Snare drums
  • Available in sizes 6" - 18"
  • 1-ply 10-mil lightly textured Suede® film
  • Brightness of Clear and warmth of Coated drumheads

notvinnie

Question: Are the Suedes really coated? Or is it some totally different technique and if so, does it come close to a coated head sound wise?
No, it's not a coating. They're basically Ebony heads that have been treated so that they have a texture. Their sound is sort of in between coated and smooth.

vyacheslav

The Aquarian Jack DeJohnette signature heads are the only, true rough coated heads that are also black that I am aware of.

I have used them before and they are good heads. They are single ply, but they seem to be a little thicker than a standard Ambassador to me.

Treverer

The Aquarian Jack DeJohnette signature heads are the only, true rough coated heads that are also black that I am aware of.

I have used them before and they are good heads. They are single ply, but they seem to be a little thicker than a standard Ambassador to me.
Yeah, that is what I'm looking for I guess. I dismissed the special resonant heads, because I want them to be at least on a G1 level thickness with a real coating.

Warrenwood

Evans has the Resonant black. From their website:
"Evans Resonant Black series features a single ply of 7.5mil film for increased sensitivity and enhanced projection. These drumheads also offer a wide-open tone with maximum sustain with a classic black aesthetic. Evans Level 360 Technology is incorporated for ease of tuning, extended pitch range, and optimum quality of sound. "
I have these on my 63 Slingerland. I really can't hear the difference between them and clear Evans G1, but the black surface really pops out against the black diamond pearl wrap.