Black Beautys and Hammered Bronze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I don't know if you guys see the advertising as I do due to location or tracking cookies,but at Amazon ,the Ludwig LB552K is more expensive that the Ludwig flag ship Black Beauty.

LB552K..................759.00 US

Black Beauty...........689.00US

Get um' while their hot.

Steve B

Last edited:
D

drumming sort of person

Both overpriced. Buy used. Tons available.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
That's a matter of opinion.Some will say...worth every dime,others not so much.

We all have ears that hear differently,and place different value on the sound we want,and what we can afford.

But that said....nothing,........nothing comes even close, to the mojo factor.The Black Beauty is legend for a reason.

I would buy used also,but if you must have new.................They can be had cheaper.

The point is that on average,new or used....the LB 552K hammered bronze,is starting to commanding more money than the BB.

Years ago,they weren't even close.

Steve B

D

drumming sort of person

That's not true. Plenty of drums sound as good or better. I've owned both. I currently have the chrome over brass model with brass colored tube lugs and hoops. It's great, but I like my wooden Gretsch just as much, if not more. Tama makes wonderful snares too. As does Sonor and Pearl. Yamaha is a crap shoot for snares, although that Manu Katche model was nice (and similar to the Black Beauty).

The Black Beauty is a nice snare, and the hammered bronze has gotten popular due to Bill Stewart, but it's really nice too. They're just not worth any more than $500, or $600 tops (for new) in my eyes. And you can find used ones in almost new condition for hundreds less.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
That's not true. Plenty of drums sound as good or better. I've owned both. I currently have the chrome over brass model with brass colored tube lugs and hoops. It's great, but I like my wooden Gretsch just as much, if not more. Tama makes wonderful snares too. As does Sonor and Pearl. Yamaha is a crap shoot for snares, although that Manu Katche model was nice (and similar to the Black Beauty).

The Black Beauty is a nice snare, and the hammered bronze has gotten popular due to Bill Stewart, but it's really nice too. They're just not worth any more than $500, or $600 tops (for new) in my eyes. And you can find used ones in almost new condition for hundreds less.
Again...it's about opinion and personal taste.

But how can you compare a brass shelled drum to a wooden one?

Again,you may just prefer the sound of wood,but the camparison is apples and watermelons.A wood shell and a metal shell,are COMPLETELY different animals.

I'm aware Tama makes great snares.They are often overlooked,but I do own two.

The BB and the Bronze supra are also made in the USA by Ludwig,hence the extra cost.You're NOT just paying for a drum,you're paying for a name that has world wide brand recognition,being in the business over 100 years.Only one or two companys can make that claim.

Most ALL drums made in the USA cost more due to material and labor costs being much more accross the board,than their Asian made counterparts.Conversly,some drums made by Tama,Yamaha,and Pearl cost more than their American counterparts....but that a completely different discussion.

Take a look at DW,Gretsch USA customs,Cravioto and other top shelf American made drums

You may not feel that the price is justified,but hundreds of thousands of drummers will openly disargee with your ascessment.

I'm also aware ,as previously stated,that they are both cheaper used,and if you have read ANY of my previous posts,I tend to recommend buying used....almost 100% of the time.

But some people want NEW,live with it.

Finally,the point I was trying to make,again as I previously stated,was that Ludwigs flag ship snare drum,is now selling for less money,than it's bronze cousin.THAT was actually the whole point.

I wasn't asking for a comparison test..

Again,I will also state,though you may care for your Gretsch,many others care for the sound of the BB and bronze supra,and are will ing to pay the difference in price.....happily.

You want REAL bang for the buck,pick up a 60's Vintage Slingerland Artist or Hollywood ace for couple of hundred,OR a used Ludwig Acrolite for a 100 or less.

Steve B

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Wow...when did I say NOT to buy used.Read all of my posts and I always say to buy used.Even this one if you bothered to read it.

ALL of my drums and cymbals are used except 2 chashes.

The thread is about how the bronze supra,costs more money than the Flag ship Ludwig Black Beauty,which was Ludwigs MOST expensive drum at one point..Some guys,no matter what you say,have to buy shiney and new.

I don't argee and I believe there's medication for that now.

Both drums are priced for what the market will bear,and Ludwig sells tons of NEW ones at that price.

What is so hard to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.