Black Beauty question

pocket player

Thanks. Rack toms are fine being hung from the stands. Atlas tom mounts seem pretty stout and the tom arms are very beefy what with the 12mm L-arms. Key is having sturdy cymbal stands. I use Gibraltar 6709's. Excellent value as they are sturdy, double braced, convertible to booms, and have really cool memory locks with wing nuts that don't need a drum key except for one adjustment up by the tilter.

I purchased the FAB config (22-13-16) from Chicago Drum Exchange. CALL Kyle Hammond for pricing and tell him I (Todd fr Pittsburgh) sent you. He WILL work with you if you're a serious buyer. They are a BIG Ludwig dealer! I bought the 12x8 add on from Drum Center Portsmouth. I had to buy the Atlas mount separate and install it myself. It's EZ PZ to do. I got the Atlas tom arm/clamps from Sweetwater's Reverb store which is called GearNuts.
Thanks

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Hmm, maybe this will help you make a decision between the Black Beauty and the Supraphonic. I've heard plenty of Black Beauty copycats from other manufacturers that sound pretty darn close to the real thing.

However, I have NOT heard a Supraphonic copycat from other manufacturers that have successfully cloned the Supra sound. (At least not without spending $900+ on a Dunnett or Joyful Noise.)

Take it for what it's worth, but maybe it could save you $300 if you want the Black Beauty sound without the Black Beauty price. :unsure: 🤷‍♂️
I've had a few fellow drummers talk to me about Supra vs. Black Beauty and all have gone with the Supra. That can't be a coincidence.
One even said the Black Beauty is the "Harley-Davidson of snares": Has the look, legendary status & fandom, but many other bikes are just as good without the price tag.

I'll surely play both (as I have a shop here that has one of each), and decide for myself.
All of youse ROCK!! 🤘 🤘

The tube lugs to me look like you replaced the cooler looking imperials with lugs you found on eBay.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Darth Vater

I've had a few fellow drummers talk to me about Supra vs. Black Beauty and all have gone with the Supra. That can't be a coincidence.
One even said the Black Beauty is the "Harley-Davidson of snares": Has the look, legendary status & fandom, but many other bikes are just as good without the price tag.

I'll surely play both (as I have a shop here that has one of each), and decide for myself.
All of youse ROCK!! 🤘 🤘

:LOL::LOL::LOL:
I've owned both. They're both really good snare drums. Neither would be the #1 snare at my house though. Not being smug, just honest.

yammyfan

For the money, DWs Collectors BNOB is a great drum. I think the shell is sourced from overseas then assembled w Collectors hardware at DW.

This guy did a comparison
I was in the market for a BB recently but went with the DW instead. Best snare I've ever played.

I wish the two drums in the video were tuned identically. Hard to make an apples to apples comparison otherwise.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Which of the 6.5x14 black nickel drums is considered "the one" so many talk about? The one with Imperial lugs or tube lugs?

I see both for sale & each is revered as the one used on famous recordings. Does the different lugs matter in the overall sound?

Whatever you do, don't get this Ludwig Black Beauty:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/used-ludwig-14x5-black-beauty-snare-drum/117076788

:ROFLMAO:

EDIT: I'll put the pic in before it disappears: (click it)

Attachments

• Yamaha Black Beauty - Copy.jpg
    Yamaha Black Beauty - Copy.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Frosticles

Silver Member
I own a 6.5 BB Hammered with Imperial Lugs & also a 6.5 Supraphonic. The BB just has a sound all of it's own which I love. The Supra is also a fantastic drum with different characteristics. You just can't go wrong with either.
I also used to own a 14x8 Black Magic which I used for recording. That is one hell of a fantastic drum & definitely superb value for money. I would not hesitate for one second to get another :)

RickP

Gold Member
Back to the original question about Ludwig Black Beauties and which is the definitive 6.5” . IMHO if I was in the market for a 6.5” BB - I would do a imperial lugs , triple flange hoops , P88C strainer and would swap out the Ludwig Medium batter head for a Remo CS coated . I would also swap the stock wires for Canopus Vintage wires ( the improvement in sound is very noticeable ).

I like the look of tube lugs on 5” BB snares but not on the 6.5” . I also dislike the sound of diecast hoops on most snares but especially on the Black Beauty snares . Your opinions may be different but that is fine . I know what I like .

I also far prefer the sound of the Ludwig Black Beauty to any other snare Ludwig makes . I have owned Ludaloy Supras ; Copperphonics and Bronze (smith and hammered) but just did not do it for me . The Ludwig Black Beauty and the N&C Alloy Classic are my favourite metal shell snares made today .