Black Beauty question

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Which of the 6.5x14 black nickel drums is considered "the one" so many talk about? The one with Imperial lugs or tube lugs?

I see both for sale & each is revered as the one used on famous recordings. Does the different lugs matter in the overall sound?

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Most BB owners swear the Imperial lugs add to the quintessential Black Beauty sound. To my ear, there is a very minor difference between the two with the tube lugs sounding ever so slightly more open.

Even though I prefer the look of the tube lugs as a throwback to the original Black Beauties of the 20's and 30's, I ended up going with the Imperial lugs on my Black Beauty simply for practicality: the Imperial lugs are less likely to cross thread.

Justinhub2003

Drum Expert
I went with the model with Brass tube lugs and brass Die cast hoops (that I later changed out for triple flange).

But I think a lot of people think the 8 lug version of the drum is the way to go. Mine is 10 but apparently there was a big demand for the 8 lug version of the BB

IBitePrettyHard

The 5" and 6.5" 10-lug Black Beauty with Imperial lugs are "the ones". If I were buying one, that's what I'd get.

The tube lug versions sound great too, but a little more open.

Black Beauties with die-cast hoops are also an option, but I would only recommend them for aggressive music.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Black Beauties with die-cast hoops are also an option, but I would only recommend them for aggressive music.
I was going to ask next if they came with triple flange or die cast and what difference did it make.

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the market for one (or the LM402) & wanted to ask the "pro's" what they thought.

IBitePrettyHard

I was going to ask next if they came with triple flange or die cast and what difference did it make.

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the market for one (or the LM402) & wanted to ask the "pro's" what they thought.
Hmm, maybe this will help you make a decision between the Black Beauty and the Supraphonic. I've heard plenty of Black Beauty copycats from other manufacturers that sound pretty darn close to the real thing.

However, I have NOT heard a Supraphonic copycat from other manufacturers that have successfully cloned the Supra sound. (At least not without spending $900+ on a Dunnett or Joyful Noise.)

Take it for what it's worth, but maybe it could save you $300 if you want the Black Beauty sound without the Black Beauty price. :unsure: 🤷‍♂️

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
To me Imperial lugs are the "correct" lugs for the modern Black Beauty. I like tube lugs too, but I don't love the look of the shorter tubes Ludwig puts on the 6.5" drums. As far as sound goes? There's so much going on in the sound of a snare drum I doubt the difference in lugs (without gaskets) would make much of an audible difference.

As far as value goes, I have a harder time recommending a Black Beauty over the range of $300 seamed-shell knock offs. I own a Black Beauty now, and I previously owned a Black Magic, and the Black Magic was a fantastic drum. I think unless you really have to have a Black Beauty, you'd do just as well with any of the numerous black nickel over brass snares out there.

incrementalg

Gold Member
As a side note on overseas vs US made nickel plated shells....I read somewhere that overseas black nickel plated shells are cheaper largely because US environmental restrictions on handling nickel raise costs.

s1212z

Drum Expert
I think I'll eventually buy the Canopus BB 6.5 which is near identical. I like their lug design better, no center bead which may slightly alter sound but their 30 strand they made just for the BB sounds exceptional and would probably swap it immediately if I got the Ludwig. Some of the quality of A stock assembling I seen recently posted here is not great.... but the Red Dragon looks really nice though not enough to sway.

Darth Vater

BTW DARTH ,hows that beautiful Ludwig ,Ringo kit sound ? you got the gears turning in my head to buy one !
Pretty darn good! Ludwig does medium, straight wall maple shells as good as anyone. I've never been a big wrap fan but everything seems OK in that department too. My finish choice was dictated by the fact that I was able to grab an addon tom right away as the Vintage Black Oyster is a pretty popular/legendary wrap. What a revelation it's been getting back to a 14" deep bass drum. These drums aren't light though. I was surprised by that. Bearing edges are fine as are the shells and wrap seams. I went with all classic large lugs, Atlas tom mounts/arms and Triad FT mounts.

All the hardware checks out (tom arms, tom mounts, FT mounts etc.) and the toms really bark in low thunderous tones with little to no unwanted overtones. I love the sizes 22x14, 12x8, 13x9 and 16x16. Old school standard sizes. I definitely recommend them for gigging drummers. Very easy to tune, they come with great heads (clear Remo Emps on top, clear Remo ambassadors on the bottom, clear PS3 kick batter and smooth white PS3 kick reso). I might try an EMAD on the kick as I have an affinity for those. Other than that, these are ready to R&R right out of the box. That's the way a new kit should be. :cool:

Dworld 2.jpg

pocket player

Great Glad you are enjoying them. are the rack toms sturdy with those mounts on cymbal stands ? I'm Getting that nice fuzzy feeling about this kit. Would you mind if i asked you where you purchased them from? ... Thanks

Darth Vater

Great Glad you are enjoying them. are the rack toms sturdy with those mounts on cymbal stands ? I'm Getting that nice fuzzy feeling about this kit. Would you mind if i asked you where you purchased them from? ... Thanks

Thanks. Rack toms are fine being hung from the stands. Atlas tom mounts seem pretty stout and the tom arms are very beefy what with the 12mm L-arms. Key is having sturdy cymbal stands. I use Gibraltar 6709's. Excellent value as they are sturdy, double braced, convertible to booms, and have really cool memory locks with wing nuts that don't need a drum key except for one adjustment up by the tilter.

I purchased the FAB config (22-13-16) from Chicago Drum Exchange. CALL Kyle Hammond for pricing and tell him I (Todd fr Pittsburgh) sent you. He WILL work with you if you're a serious buyer. They are a BIG Ludwig dealer! I bought the 12x8 add on from Drum Center Portsmouth. I had to buy the Atlas mount separate and install it myself. It's EZ PZ to do. I got the Atlas tom arm/clamps from Sweetwater's Reverb store which is called GearNuts.

RickP

Gold Member
Darth’s Classic Maple is a beauty , we discussed the Classic Maples a few times as we both got Classic Maples around the same time . I have owned three of the Legacy Classic Maple kits and was never completely satisfied with them . The Legacy Classic Maple really favour the medium to low end of the sonic spectrum . They have that Classic Ludwig thumpy sound and if that is your thing these are great . It is not really my sound . I prefer the more modern sound of the Classic Maple . The Classic Maple has a far wider tuning range and more resonance . I personally think they are the finest sounding drums Ludwig makes . The fact they are not the most expensive drums Ludwig makes is an added bonus .

IBitePrettyHard

Thanks. Rack toms are fine being hung from the stands. Atlas tom mounts seem pretty stout and the tom arms are very beefy what with the 12mm L-arms. Key is having sturdy cymbal stands. I use Gibraltar 6709's. Excellent value as they are sturdy, double braced, convertible to booms, and have really cool memory locks with wing nuts that don't need a drum key except for one adjustment up by the tilter.

I purchased the FAB config (22-13-16) from Chicago Drum Exchange. CALL Kyle Hammond for pricing and tell him I (Todd fr Pittsburgh) sent you. He WILL work with you if you're a serious buyer. They are a BIG Ludwig dealer! I bought the 12x8 add on from Drum Center Portsmouth. I had to buy the Atlas mount separate and install it myself. It's EZ PZ to do. I got the Atlas tom arm/clamps from Sweetwater's Reverb store which is called GearNuts.
Sweetwater is secretly called GearNuts on Reverb??! 😮 🤯🤯

bongoman

I have to agree with the others saying a knockoff will sound damn close to the Ludwig, often for much less $. I had the Ludwig in both brass and bronze, and ended up selling both because they didn’t sound any better than the Pork Pie BB, to me.