Black Beauty out of round 1/8"

so i just got my LB417T the other day,first thing i noticed when i opened the box is that the head is closer to the hoop on 2 side across from each other and more of a gap on the opposite sides. i measured the hoop on the drum first and it was out by an 1/8". when i took the head off and measure the the hoop it is more within a 1/16". then i measured the schell and it is out by an 1/8". is this ok? it just seems like when i put the head and hoop on before i start to run the tension rods down it sits higher on the bearing edge as compared 2 other drums. thinking of taking it back to the store. for $550 i dont want to accept it if it ist'nt rite.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
As with any drum, I'd first ask myself, does it tune up properly and do I like how it sounds? If the answer to both of those is yes. Then I wouldn't bother myself any further with 1/8 of an inch......not huge by any measure. If the answer to both was no, I'd send it back.

I wouldn't worry all that much about a triple flanged hoop being slightly out of round though. As long as it's not completely warped, buckled or whacked, it'll naturally be pulled into shape when you bring the drum up to tension.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
1/8" isn't huge, but it isn't right either. As Pocket said, tune it up, & if you're satisfied with the sound, & how easy it is to get the head completely even around the circumference, then fine. Any tuning concerns whatsoever, take it straight back.

i did'nt tune it up yet, but as i tensioned up the drum a bit the head still sits real close to the hoop on one side. when i first put the hoop and head on about 4 of the tension rods are to tight to finger tension. i've never had this problem with any other snare.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
i did'nt tune it up yet, but as i tensioned up the drum a bit the head still sits real close to the hoop on one side. when i first put the hoop and head on about 4 of the tension rods are to tight to finger tension. i've never had this problem with any other snare.
I'd still try tuning it up, as things have a habit of settling to a degree when you add tension. That said, you're already telling me enough to encourage you to return the drum. It's a new product, & as such, should be absolutely right. Ok, you have to allow some tolerance, but on a shell that's been spun on modern tooling, there's really no excuse. Is it possible it's been crushed in shipping?

Irrespective of how you decide to deal with this, inform the shop you bought it from straight away. That way, you've discharged your responsibility to report any concerns in a timely manner. That's important, as some shops have strict return notification policies.

Good luck.