Black Beauty or Not??

Kg_lee

This may appear to most as a Black Beauty with the black nickle finish and imperial lugs but it is not.

This drum I had purchased from a Ludwig Rep which is one of a kind. This is actually an Acrolite with 10 lugs made to look like a Black Beauty. It is an amazing sounding drum!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"

This may appear to most as a Black Beauty with the black nickle finish and imperial lugs but it is not.

This drum I had purchased from a Ludwig Rep which is one of a kind. This is actually an Acrolite with 10 lugs made to look like a Black Beauty. It is an amazing sounding drum!
I'd call it a black nickel Supra, not an Acro. What Acro has 10 lugs on a 14 x 5? Same shell as the Supra, (I consider the aluminum drum the Supra, I won't even get into the whole strainer topic) 10 imperial lugs, except w/ a black nickel finish.
But pretty cool. Never saw a Black Nickel aluminum drum before. That would be a good candidate for an A/B with a Supra, to see what effect the black nickel coating does to the tone.

S

sticks4drums

That's cool. I am starting to think My new Black Beaty is aluminum because it is so light compared to my other metal snares.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
That's cool. I am starting to think My new Black Beaty is aluminum because it is so light compared to my other metal snares.
Once you punch holes for ten imperial lugs in an aluminum 5x14 shell......its a supra,not an acrolite.That finish should be black nickle,not black chrome,if this drum is a BB imposter.Thats the hardest thing to do on the BB...the black nickel finish.People keep calling it chrome...which it is not.

That drum has the cut badge,and looks to have the P-86 strainer,which is not standard on a BB,except for the brass on brass.

Having said all that..,that there is one beautiful drum,and it gives me and idea.More on that later.

Sticks ...weigh your drum.It should be around 9 lbs.imperial weight.If it was a supra,it would be around 6 lbs.If Ludwig says that its a BB...it is.

Steve B

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Plus the inside of the drum will tell you what type of metal it is. I always wondered why the brass on BB's and Sensitones and BOB's et al are not the shiny brass that I picture in my mind when I hear the word brass. I played a shiny brass welded shell that I thought was a killer, forget the brand though.
So Steve, the black nickel is a hard finish to apply? Care to elaborate? I would think it's just a matter of dipping the shells in a bunch of different cleaning/prep/electrolplating baths. Too many episodes of "How it's Made" lol.

S

sticks4drums

Plus the inside of the drum will tell you what type of metal it is. I always wondered why the brass on BB's and Sensitones and BOB's et al are not the shiny brass that I picture in my mind when I hear the word brass. I played a shiny brass welded shell that I thought was a killer, forget the brand though.
So Steve, the black nickel is a hard finish to apply? Care to elaborate? I would think it's just a matter of dipping the shells in a bunch of different cleaning/prep/electrolplating baths. Too many episodes of "How it's Made" lol.
That was the other thing. The inside is a silver colour.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Just like in almost any plating process,base metals are used such as copper and nickel,So there is actually an electroless or bright nickel layer under the black surface nickel.If you've ever seen a great piano black finish and a not so great one,you know that a polished black finish will show every little flaw.

The same can be said for black nickel.The surface layer on the outside of the drum is polished to a very high degree,and the interior not at all.Thats why the inside looks almost silver,...which is what black nickel looks like in its unpolished form.It actually darkens when polished.

So any flaw in the plating or surface prep will stand out on a polished black finish.Thats why its so difficult to finish a black beauty.The procedure must be a perfect as possible,

Sticks ...now you know why the inside of your BB looks silver.Its just not polished.;)

Steve B

S

sticks4drums

Just like in almost any plating process,base metals are used such as copper and nickel,So there is actually an electroless or bright nickel layer under the black surface nickel.If you've ever seen a great piano black finish and a not so great one,you know that a polished black finish will show every little flaw.

The same can be said for black nickel.The surface layer on the outside of the drum is polished to a very high degree,and the interior not at all.Thats why the inside looks almost silver,...which is what black nickel looks like in its unpolished form.It actually darkens when polished.

So any flaw in the plating or surface prep will stand out on a polished black finish.Thats why its so difficult to finish a black beauty.The procedure must be a perfect as possible,

Sticks ...now you know why the inside of your BB looks silver.Its just not polished.;)

Steve B
Thanks man. You are a wealth of knowledge. :)

Kg_lee

I'm going to try to answer some of your questions on what I know about the drum.

I guess you could say it's looks like a supraphonic, I'm saying black beauty because that's how the Ludwig Rep had referred the drum to me as.

The finish on the inside of the drum doesn't luster like the outside. There is writing on the inside of the drum which was done with a white grease pen. I'm assuming that writing has something to do with the drum.

I was told the badge was cut because that's how Ludwig identifies one off drums.

Kg_lee

I'd call it a black nickel Supra, not an Acro. What Acro has 10 lugs on a 14 x 5? Same shell as the Supra, (I consider the aluminum drum the Supra, I won't even get into the whole strainer topic) 10 imperial lugs, except w/ a black nickel finish.
But pretty cool. Never saw a Black Nickel aluminum drum before. That would be a good candidate for an A/B with a Supra, to see what effect the black nickel coating does to the tone.
I don't wanna say your wrong but Ludwig even tag the box this came in as a Acrolite.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
No I'm not disputing what they told you, I'm just saying I think they termed it wrong. Most Acros have 8 lugs, whereas all Supras have 10 lugs. No matter. I've come to the conclusion that Ludwig does things to deliberately confuse people.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
No I'm not disputing what they told you, I'm just saying I think they termed it wrong. Most Acros have 8 lugs, whereas all Supras have 10 lugs. No matter. I've come to the conclusion that Ludwig does things to deliberately confuse people.
The only explaination I can muster is ,the raw aluminum shell they used,was SUPPOSED to be an acro,but to complete the black beauty imposter look,the drum needed to have 10 instead of 8 lugs.I think it may have been more interesting,if they just punched the shell with 8 lugs,and used bowties instead of imperials,with a 60's P-83 strainer.Now that would be something to see.

Maybe even engraved the shell.If that was my drum,I just might send it to John Aldridge to have it engraved,and to give it provanence,with a certificate of authenticity from John himself.$$$$$$$$$$$$$.Talk about a one of drum.

Steve B

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
What a unique drum. It's not an Acro with 10 Imperial lugs, it's not a Supra with black nickel coating, it's not a Black Beauty with an aluminium shell......so what would you call the bastard offspring of all three?

Damn you Ludwig!! As if they're not the subject of enough confusion.

Great drum mate.....definitely a first for me. Enjoy!!

Last edited:

tamadrm

Platinum Member
It is a devils child of a drum.The real question is why?Prototype....custom order....lets see if we can....how much would it cost to make these.....what do you think we could sell them for......and who would buy them...collectors or giging drummers?

Time to visit Ludwig,and get out the spotlight,and the rubber hoses Clancy.Aye lads ....its a pickle it is.

Steve B

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
What a unique drum. It's not an Acro with 10 Imperial lugs, it's not a Supra with black nickel coating, it's not a Black Beauty with an aluminium shell......so what would you call the bastard offspring of all three?

Damned you Ludwig!! As if they're not the subject of enough confusion.

Great drum mate.....definitely a first for me. Enjoy!!
Ha ha ha great ob!

18, 19, 20!

Kg_lee

The only explaination I can muster is ,the raw aluminum shell they used,was SUPPOSED to be an acro,but to complete the black beauty imposter look,the drum needed to have 10 instead of 8 lugs.I think it may have been more interesting,if they just punched the shell with 8 lugs,and used bowties instead of imperials,with a 60's P-83 strainer.Now that would be something to see.

Maybe even engraved the shell.If that was my drum,I just might send it to John Aldridge to have it engraved,and to give it provanence,with a certificate of authenticity from John himself.$$$$$$$$$$$$$.Talk about a one of drum.

Steve B
I'm going to contact John Aldridge about his thoughts on engraving the drum. Great idea!

MikeM

Platinum Member
I would be willing to bet that it is what it looks like: a 5x14 B-Stock Black Beauty. Easiest way to tell is expose the inside of one of the shell holes (take off one of the lugs, for example) and scrape off the tiniest shaving of the shell material under the plating. If it's brass, then kindly deposit $10,000 USD into my PayPal account. If it's aluminum, then don't bother!

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I would be willing to bet that it is what it looks like: a 5x14 B-Stock Black Beauty.
I'm not playing mate. Don't wanna lose my coin.

B-stock in the wrong box is a way more convincing argument than a one off "Acro-Phonic Beauty hybrid with traditional style B-stock cut badge".....but then again, it is Ludwig we're talkin' about.

Hmmm....what about a "ladies flutter?" What will a tenner get me? :)