Black Beauty - but not from Ludwig

yammyfan

If you haven't done so already, it's worth checking out reviews and/or comparison videos of the DW Collector's BNOB. It's one of the best selling DW snares of all time and many people seem to prefer it over the BB. It sounds amazing, is built like a tank and meets your non-Ludwig criteria.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Problem though is this Tama is actually more expensive than a BB.
Bummer.

I also have the KA154 and tune/mute it fat & solid. It feels great under the hand.

41678B8E-ECAE-4597-891E-0026ADA7CC81.jpeg

They’re great snare drums. Very versatile.

I bought my 14” off a Reverb seller for $220. It was beat up but I didn’t care.

The 15” was on 50% reduction Tama sale, $350-ish. Plus Terry Bisette from Tama (now at Fork’s I believe) gave me the tip on lower tuning. Aronoff talked about that tuning method at his/Sweetwater recording class, too.

Still…🤔

AA38290F-7CE3-4A2C-ABFB-F3D873435849.jpeg

Last edited:

ToneT

Drum Expert
If you haven't done so already, it's worth checking out reviews and/or comparison videos of the DW Collector's BNOB. It's one of the best selling DW snares of all time and many people seem to prefer it over the BB. It sounds amazing, is built like a tank and meets your non-Ludwig criteria.

I've had two 8x14s for years now and couldn't be happier with them!

yammyfan

I've had two 8x14s for years now and couldn't be happier with them!
Seriously deep snare drums!

I have the 6.5 x 14 model with satin chrome hardware and it is a gorgeous sounding drum. DW hit a home run with this series.

Last edited:

oriollo

Does the BB have anything that the other one was missing?

And I like Oriollo as a brand, but you can't test their drums nowhere and their website is very hit and miss. When you configure the snare you don't get to see the different options on the shell, on their website are half a dozen lug designs floating around, the test videos they promote link to the wrong YT pages etc. I know that here in this forum alone are a lot of satisfied customers, but for close to a 1000 Euros the ordering process is a bit too much "into the dark" for my liking.

We used to have different lugs, experimented with many designs and technologies. But we're set to the TriDrop design, made of cast stainless steel since almost 4 years ago. And - only at a special request - we do offer our version of the tube lug, machined of brass. That's all.

As for the "wrong YT pages", I would really appreciate if you could PM me an example.