BJ Thomas on throne height

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So after reading some of the thread on proper throne height, I found this clip of Procol Harum with the late great BJ Thomas on drums. This is fine example of sitting at a comfortable height for your body, and then adjusting to the kit around you. As I watched this, he looked very relaxed and was able to execute great chops - then I realized his snare height is just about even with his chest! But if you have a tall kit, it's still more important that you can sit with your feet flat on the floor. At least it was good for BJ!

check it out:

So after reading some of the thread on proper throne height, I found this clip of Procol Harum with the late great BJ Thomas on drums. This is fine example of sitting at a comfortable height for your body, and then adjusting to the kit around you. As I watched this, he looked very relaxed and was able to execute great chops - then I realized his snare height is just about even with his chest! But if you have a tall kit, it's still more important that you can sit with your feet flat on the floor. At least it was good for BJ!

check it out:

"The octopus in the bathtub"

So after reading some of the thread on proper throne height, I found this clip of Procol Harum with the late great BJ Wilson on drums. ...
Fixed it for ya. :)

Though I was really looking forward to hearing BJ Thomas speak on throne height before drumming and singing “Rain Drops...” or “Hooked On A Feeling”!

Not only is the snare high, but he sits with his knees higher than his hips which goes against almost everything I read from other sources. Tommy Lee sits low as well for a tall guy. I guess it's what you get used to.

Not only is the snare high, but he sits with his knees higher than his hips which goes against almost everything I read from other sources. Tommy Lee sits low as well for a tall guy. I guess it's what you get used to.

It seems an impossible posture but anyway, great drumming ! I am not sure, is it a Premier kit ?

I've seen several drummers (Todd Sucherman, Kenny Aronoff) appear to sit fairly low to their drums. At least the snare is high. But their thighs are pretty parallel to the floor. I think I'd have shoulder problems playing a snare that high.

Scott Travis is tall and sits below his knees too. And somehow he's always been a monster on double bass. It looks uncomfortable to me but oh well . . .

Maybe he learned to play as a toddler and just stuck with what worked, keeping everything up high, effectively staying small.

Great post. BJ Wilson is criminally underrated. Here's another version from several years earlier. (I wish I could explain the peculiar bald spot... Probably a prank gone bad.)

In this video he seems higher. I wonder in the first video if his throne slipped down or if his snare is thicker and he did adjust the snare stand height?

Hey, is a throne adjustable from 21″ to 29″ is comfortable for a tall (6.4) guy? I can't figure it out
I'm thinking of Buying large DW throne
Found the info here, it's number 6

Man, I thought I used to sit low. I love sitting low but I love sitting "over" my toms. I end up sitting higher and just sucking it up usually. Same with I love the sound of huge kick's, but also like to sit over my toms, so I compromise with a 20/22.

Hey, is a throne adjustable from 21″ to 29″ is comfortable for a tall (6.4) guy? I can't figure it out
I'm thinking of Buying large DW throne
Found the info here, it's number 6

Measure the distance from the floor to the top of your knee. This is the number that will get your thighs parallel to the floor. You really don't want to be any lower than that.

Measure the distance from the floor to the top of your knee. This is the number that will get your thighs parallel to the floor. You really don't want to be any lower than that.
I did, thanks, going to order that DW, it will fit
But now I wonder if I should purchase a backrest, it's not included in the price of throne. Is it more comfortable to have a backrest?

I did, thanks, going to order that DW, it will fit
But now I wonder if I should purchase a backrest, it's not included in the price of throne. Is it more comfortable to have a backrest?

I've never used one, so I can't say. I'd be willing to bet some love them and some hate them. This seems more like a personal preference to me than anything.

Back