Birch drums

drummingman

Gold Member
So I've been looking into getting a birch kit as of late. I'm looking at mid to upper mid level drums price wise. What are some good birch kits on the market right now from any brand? Sadly most birch kits that I have seen have been on the lower end. Honestly I'm surprised more companies are not offering mid level birch kits.

I've never owned a birch kit but everything I've read about them as really piqued my interest.

Jhostetler

Tama Silverstar is a pretty good kit for the money. I've got the 18" bass jazz version. Gretsch I think has a birch Catalina kit but I have no real experience with that one.

basset52

Yamaha Stage Custom are good value intermediate birch kits. I have an old 2009 set and just love them.
Cheers

Superman

Gold Member
Most people are going to tell you to get Stage Customs, and for $650 you are getting a great drum set. But you are correct, most of the current straight birch drums are intermediate or semi pro. I have 100% birch Starclassics and like them a lot. Tama stopped making straight birch SCs a few years back, but GC has a number of used ones for under a grand. If you are willing to go used, then that would be my best recommendation for an upper line birch kit. If you are looking new then I would probably go for the Stage Customs.

Last edited:

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Most people are going to tell you to get Stage Customs, and for $650 you are getting a great drum set. But you are correct, most of the current straight birch drums are intermediate or semi pro. I have 100% birch Starclassics and like them a lot. Tama stopped making straight birch SCs a few years back, but GC has a number of used ones used for under a grand. If you are willing to go used, then that would be my best recommendation for an upper line birch kit. If you are looking new then I would probably go for the Stage Customs.
Agree. I would get used.

drummingman

Gold Member
I've been looking at a crush kit but don't know if they are going out of business. I'm also looking at a natal kit.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I've always been a fan of Birch drums.

I've used the Stage Customs on many tours over the years. With the right heads they sound fantastic mixed up on a stage.

I also own a late 80's Recording Custom, I've uses it on just about every recording sessions over the last 4 years. It's rare that the engineers ever have to do much EQing or post-production stuff.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
New, I suspect they're outside of your price range, but if you can find a used Kumu, they're the best sounding birch ply drums on the planet IMHO, & by some margin. I rarely see them for sale used, but I'm hardly ever looking, so maybe there's a chance.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Anyone know if the mapex mydentity drums are any good? They come in birch and seem to be priced really well.
They're the standard 'Mars' series with customisable wraps. So not good value.

I agree with Andy. Played a Kumu in the studio at Uni years ago. One of the nicest kits I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

Otherwise? Yamaha. Or Sonor. Or Tama. They're all pretty much the same at the mid-range.

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
Good Birch drums... as mentioned: Yamaha or Tama, but there are also used Mapex Meridian Birch drums, Sonor Force 2007/Esential Force, Pearl Vision or Premier Genista, that you could take a look at.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Discontinued, but Ludwig made the Classic Birch a while back.
Don't know much about them though.
When I hear birch, I think Yamaha.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Birch isn't a whole lot different than maple to my ear. I like both woods about equally. They're very similar IMO. Now walnut, there' a different tone.
Joe MacSweeney from Eames drums makes nice birch shells that aren't cookie cutter.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I have a really nice Richmo made from Scandinavian Birch. 3 ply with reinforcement rings. Got it at uni from a guy who was endorsed. It records like a dream.

They're hard to find because sadly Alan passed away and most of his kits were made to order so they're all a bit different. I never got on with the snares he made but the kits were great.

I've heard either altitude or temperature effects the quality of Birch...not sure which.

70s Premier Elite might be an idea or 80s Tama Superstar or a Yammy 9000.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Ludwig Element makes an all birch kit too. Mine is awesome. Sounds better than an SC and looks good too. Solid kit. Otherwise, I would look at Tama Silverstars or SC's.

incrementalg

Gold Member
There are still some new Pearl Masters BCX kits out there. You can get a new 4 pc for a grand. I've played on one and it sounded great. I owned a BLX set for years and loved it.

Look for a 90s Premier Genista birch. I had one back then. Sold it the early 2000s. Been kicking myself ever since. Best sounding drum kit I've ever played. The birch was just the thing. The new Genistas are not the same. I think they're being made in China. The 90s Genistas are the real deal.